Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:00:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Medical Exam Tables

Started by Upholstery Clinic, July 08, 2017, 12:38:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Upholstery Clinic

I have been upholstering medical and dental exam tables and chairs for almost 30 years, and have finally run into an interesting issue.  One of the large hospital systems I do work for is involved with something called the Healthier Hospitals Initiative.  http://healthierhospitals.org/   It is a way for them to go completely "Green".  I have been told that all upholstering going forward will use either certain polyurethanes (ones that meet the requirements) or silicone based products like Silica.  Does anyone have any experience using these products on medical exam tables or chairs?  I have seen Ultraleather cushions on dental chairs fail within 3 years from the factory and was not covered under warranty.  I don't believe these products will hold up under the cleaning and heavy use, the way the good commercial vinyls do.  Wondering if anyone is using this stuff, and if so which ones have given the best results, without getting into the $165 retail range that some of the products from C.F. Stinson go for.  To me, the $125 for Ultraleather is ridiculous enough.  Any information is appreciated.

Jim

MinUph

Give them what they require. Whatever the cost is it's expected I'm sure.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

The local hospital that I do work for always starts out wanting all those specs. Then I give them a quote. Suddenly, it's not so important after all. I end up using "Plain Jane" vinyl.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Upholstery Clinic

Thanks MinUph and sofadoc.  I have already told the powers that be, the costs involved.  They are one of the largest hospital systems in the state, and a non profit also, so the admins just look at it as money they already have to spend.  Not to mention, they are all in on this Healthier Hospitals Initiative.  I really don't care about the cost, as long as they are willing to pay it.  But my suspicion is that none of these products are going to hold up under the disinfecting and wear they are going to get.  Especially since no one actually uses the cleaners properly.  After seeing that Pelton Crane will not warranty there Ultraleather upholstery on their dental chairs, I am assuming that they do not feel confident that it will last long term.  So at this time, they will pay what it costs with no guarantee on the material.

baileyuph

Leather on these items!  I too do this kind of work and if they wanted leather (thought they did), when I explain the products (cow hide (all the layers), processed leather, simulated leather along with commercial application vinyls (for hospitals) they always change their mind. 

Educate them and they still want different ---- just do it! 

I did a dental office last month and after I provided an overview of each possibility, the quest changed by selecting higher quality hospital vinyls which wasn't cheap.

But, in this case, sounds like your advice has been provided and we know the rest.

Give them what they asked for.

Doyle

kodydog

I did 7 dental exam chair for a dentist who specialized in children. She used a decorator to buy her vinyl. It was beautiful fabric, soft, expensive and very thin. I could just imagine those kids hopping up there and digging their shoes in. Oh well, I upholstered them about 8 years ago.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Upholstery Clinic

The way I look at it is I have told them my reservations on using polyurethane, and they say use it anyway.  So polyurethane they will get.  I will probably use Ultraleather on most of the stuff.  The Hydrolysis test is 14+ weeks, the highest rating I have found so far.  If they want to pay $125 per yard retail, who am I to complain.

Jim

Eric

Upholstery Clinic

Not sure if Stamskin-One would work.  Anything used must meet the following requirements.  Most polyurethanes don't meet the requirements.

No DEHP (plasticizers)
No Mercury
No Formaldehyde
No Perfluorinated Compounds
No Flame Retardants, unless need it to meet building fire safety codes. If present must meet GreenScreen Benchmark 3 or 4 of equilavent
No added Anti Microbial.  Triclosan and triclocarban are explicitly prohibited. No other added or built-in chemical antimicrobials are allowed unless they are registered with the U.S. EPA under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), and have published data that show efficacy in a hospital/clinical setting measured by a reduction in healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) as part of comprehensive infection control measures. Antimicrobials added to materials or products for the sole purpose of preserving the product are exempt.