Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:46:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cord - why 5/32?

Started by 65Buick, May 17, 2017, 03:56:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

If you use 5/32, is it expected that after your layers of fabric that you will end up at 1/4"?

MinUph

That's probably a good question Buick, but I fail to see why it matters. Except that a 1/4" foot is used.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

I have often wondered the same thing. 5/32 is an odd fraction. Why not just round it down to 1/8?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Then what would we call 4/32 welt cord?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I think they refer to the welt cord sizes as 4/32, 5/32, 6/32, and so on because many people don't know their fractions very well, and would not know which is bigger if they were called 1/8, 5/32, 3/16.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: MinUph on May 17, 2017, 07:29:11 pm
Then what would we call 4/32 welt cord?

Good point. The funny thing is a 32nd of an inch is small, so small most rulers don't even show it. You would think there would be no visible difference between 4/32 and 5/32. But there is.

gene

I use 4/32 jute welt cord because that's what Merv Kunutson used in his videos on "Secrets of Upholstery", which is where I learned to make welt cord. And also because it's cheaper than cotton 4/32 and cotton 5/32. It works fine with most fabrics.

I also use cotton 5/32 because it works best with thin fabric and is smooth. Jute welt cord can have lumps in it sometimes.

My welt cord foot is 1/4, not 8/32.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on May 18, 2017, 06:16:30 am
I use 4/32 jute welt cord because that's what Merv Kunutson used in his videos on "Secrets of Upholstery", which is where I learned to make welt cord. And also because it's cheaper than cotton 4/32 and cotton 5/32. It works fine with most fabrics.

I also use cotton 5/32 because it works best with thin fabric and is smooth. Jute welt cord can have lumps in it sometimes.

I'm strictly a fiber-flex welt guy myself. I just built a new rack behind my sewing machine that holds 5/32, 6/32, 8/32, and 10/32 as well as 4/32 and 5/32 double welt, and 3 colors of zipper.

kodydog

May 18, 2017, 08:38:50 am #8 Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:39:23 am by kodydog
Nice job Sofa. Looks like you built a bench on top too. Inspires me to do the same.

gene

sofaD, when would you use 10/32 welt cord? I assume you have a welt foot for that size also?

Thanks,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on May 18, 2017, 06:33:37 pm
sofaD, when would you use 10/32 welt cord? I assume you have a welt foot for that size also?
Very rare that I use it. I only have that size because I acquired it when I bought another shop out.

In addition to 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch welt feet, I also have metric sizes up to 10 mm.
The 10 mm comes in handy for sewing braided rope into pillows.

baileyuph

In perspective, the mix of measurement units English/Metric is expected because the sewing devices/equipment was often developed in Europe and used heavily in other countries - for example those measuring in English units.

If I read correctly - time ago - The Singer was largely developed in Europe but here, more often thought to be entirely an English invention.  Nope.

So, both measuring systems are as expected, referenced in both measuring systems (English/metric).

Proceeding regarding "Why is 5/32 in. used"  it is spot on to 4.0 MM.  That is the conversion between the two out to about 5 or 6 decimal places on the metric (MM to Inch).

So, with this understanding different countries with different measurements can effectively use feet or supplies presented in either system.  Getting accustomed to working in both systems helps. 

Doyle

65Buick

Doyle, thank you for that. Now, what is the best foot to use for 4mm?

byhammerandhand

I just wish USA will give it up and go metric.  Look back to the '70s and everyone we'd be there in 10 years.

I do some woodwork in metric, just because.    What I've learned is to just give up imperial and think in metric.  Worse if I have three tape measures with imperial and metric on them.   One reads in cm, the other in mm, and the third m and cm.   For example,  at 110 cm, the first reads 110, the second 1100, and the third 10 (an look left for the 1m mark).   I finally gave up and just bought a metric only and use it alone.  I guess we have similar issues with imperial between a carpenter's tape and a cabinetmaker's tape.   One will read 7'2" and the other 84".    I did a job last year spec'd by an architect, all the cabinets, furniture, and wainscoting was in feet and inches -- drove me nuts to make a table 2'10" tall, Whaaaa?  How about 34?

That is to think in metric you never ask yourself "just how many mm is a quarter inch?"  Darn it, it needs to be about 6 mm. Contrary to this was some of the thinking in the '70s like road signs that read "Columbus 67 miles 100 KM"   or recipes that read "10.24 g baking powder"   Really, when was the last time you saw a recipe that said  1.318 tsp baking powder?"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

I agree that metric ( or the obscure base 10 imperial) is far simpler to work in, but I still have not gotten into it for wood working. On the other hand I used to hate getting measurements in inches when I was making shoes. (2/3 of 9 7/8"= ?). And yes it is 34" NOT 2' 10".

I,m a hybrid when it comes to metric. I had just learned metric  in high school when Canada adopted it and have no problems using it --- but some things don't change. Because our roads where all laid out in miles I drive 100 km/hr for 5 miles south and 3 miles east to buy a pound of bacon (454 gram) and a litre of milk.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!