Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:32:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

slipper chair seat

Started by 65Buick, March 31, 2017, 04:21:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Hi folks,

Just wanted others' opinions before I forge ahead.

Here I have a spring seat, which has been tied, burlap, densified dacron on top, edge roll, and 1/4" foam around the sides.

I have a nice piece of dacron I'm ready to install over the top of all of this. After that, I have 1" 2.8lb foam, a tiny bit more dacron, and then the final cover.

Not going to run into problems between the edge roll am I?

Originally it was burlap, many layers of cotton, then cheesecloth, then the final cover.

Here's the permalink:  http://gdurl.com/n111

MinUph

One thing to remember with dacron is that it matts. In 6 months of use it will be all matted down to nothing. The edge roll will show. You would build a better seat with 1 1/2" (can't tell the thickness of the edge roll) foam up to the edge roll and possibly another inch wrapped over the edge roll or at least up to the front edge of the roll. Then cotton then dacron if you must.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

March 31, 2017, 08:44:57 pm #2 Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:49:36 pm by kodydog
We had a customer come in this week with a bunch of small projects. One project was a cushion with a really loose cover. I opened it and inside was 5 inches of nothing but dense Dacron. My point is the same as Paul's point. Dacron eventually smashes down to nothing. I'd opt for more foam and less Dacron, just an opinion. That is a pretty cool looking retro chair though. Post a pic when done.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

The original upholstery had a piece of coir on top of the burlap. I'm guessing they used this because it's strong and dense. They also used a lot of cotton batting, but I don't think dacron was readily available in the 50s.

MinUph

Quote from: 65Buick on April 03, 2017, 04:42:36 pm
but I don't think dacron was readily available in the 50s.

And the point is?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website