Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 11:26:41 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Talk about trying to skirt the issue...

Started by gene, February 08, 2017, 03:12:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Here's a video showing fully mitered skirts on Stickley fine upholstered furniture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Q-qBTQWOY

Does anyone do these mitered skirts on a regular basis?

Have you done them before? I'm thinking this might be a benefit when I am working with thick fabric.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

If I could find a tutorial, I might give it a try. But I can't wrap my head around how to do it on a skirt.

Looks like even if I did know how to do it, I would then have to make the overall length, width, and pattern -match come out right.

I could see myself doing it on plain thick fabrics.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

MinUph

I remember seeing a tutorial on how to do this sort of thing easily. There was one part missing in the tutorial but it seemed pretty easy to do. The missing part was figuring the measurement out. They do look very nice and would hang better. If someone figures it out I hope they share the wealth.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

The way I was taught to make skirt, the face fabric is attached to the lining 2" from the edges and the skirt is folded at the seam between the fabric and the lining on the bottom edge. Same effect without having to mitre the corners.   
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

I appreciate the feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hqrsDdhkbA

Here's a video of a lady sewing blankets with mitered corners. She shows how to sew the back fabric to the face fabric and how to lay out and sew the mitered corners.

For furniture skirt panels I would only need to sew two mitered corners instead of all four.

I have not had the time to try this yet. I've been too busy. I will post my results when I do.

gene

MinUph

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 10, 2017, 04:47:01 am
The way I was taught to make skirt, the face fabric is attached to the lining 2" from the edges and the skirt is folded at the seam between the fabric and the lining on the bottom edge. Same effect without having to mitre the corners.   

Sounds like the way we do them also. It gives you basicly 4 layers of fabric on the corners as opposed to two payers done with a miter.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

I made two skirts today using this mitered method. I really like it. I can see it becoming second nature if I use it enough. And I can see myself always using it now with thick fabrics.

gene

MinUph

We will be trying this on our next skirt job. I have a shop full of chairs. At least 15 and I dont think any have skirts LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Several years ago Keith, byhammerandhand, taught me how to use lacquer toners so I could touch up furniture feet. I have designers who often want to remove the skirts from furniture and it's nice to be able to make the existing feet look good rather than replacing the feet.

Making the mitered skirt is not too difficult. You are only mitering two corners instead of four. I played around with the overall dimensions a bit. 1 1/2" border looked nice.

gene

gene

I delivered my first furniture (club chair and ottoman) that had the Stickley mitered skirts. And yes, I did not take pictures. I don't know why but I totally forgot.

The sewing has taken a bit of a learning curve, but they do seem easier to hang and they do look really nice.

I'm not sure if I will continue using this style for everything but it will definitely be helpful when working with thick fabric.

gene