Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:41:32 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Eames fiberglass shell chair

Started by whtwter, January 30, 2017, 01:22:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whtwter

Has anyone ever upholstered a eames fiberglass chair? I am ok with the sewing upholstery and cutting and glueing the foam but am not sure what the best foam would be and the best way to glue the fabric. Any guiedence would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

MinUph

The only Eames chairs I have done have wooden inserts that get Upholstered not the Fiberglass parts. Actually the framed sections were wood but some are fiberglass. Bottom line is the upholstery is dont on wooden panels. If you post some pictures it might help.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

whtwter

They are not using wood panels. Hope the pictures make it more clear.

MinUph

That is helpful Chris,
  I would use a med-firm foam 1" thick and end it roughly 1/2" from the very edge of the frame. You will need to glue the fabric, vinyl , whatever you use to the foam at the seat and probably up the sides and back several inches. Spray foam cement will work for this. Two light coats so it won't bleed through and on both sides, foam and material. I would use solvent based contact cement to fasten the fabric to the frame. Brush on as I find it stronger. Weldwood comes to mind. If your not used to contact cement it gets applied, allowed to dry then put together. Once touching its done so placement is key. A heat gun might help stretch the wrinkles out when upholstering if this is in vinyl.
  Have fun these are a challenge.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

whtwter

Thanks, that helps a lot. I am going to go with contact cement. This is the chair and the last pic is the fabric I am using. I made the rosewood rocket glides and did the artwork on the back. It is for a show in August and go woth a desk I am building in blackened steel and  acacia. Always a bit nervracking trying something new on something you already have a lot of work in. I am thinking coat the fabric but just do a few inched at a time on the foam so I dont risk sticking something where it doesnt belong. Does that sound like a good plan of attack?