Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 07:16:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Re-upholster with decorative nails.

Started by suzieqallt, January 16, 2017, 09:02:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

suzieqallt

I am re-upholstering my Louis the 15th open-arm chair.  I am concerned that the decorative nails will be using mostly the same holes so will not have as strong a grip as the original.  There are 300 nails around the chair.  Is their something I should do, such as a wood treatment or something, that will assure that the nails will be secure?  I will be treating the wood with oil since it is very dry, but have not yet until I know what to do about the nail holes.  Thanks for any suggestions. 

MinUph

Generally the holes will be fine. If the wood is not split you should be fine. If you want to mix some fine sawdust and glue up and with a putty knife fill in the holes. But it should not be needed.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Yeah, you should be OK unless the chair has been recovered multiple times, and the wood is really perforated with holes. Then like Paul says, a concoction of sawdust and glue ought to do the trick.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

January 16, 2017, 07:57:58 pm #3 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:15:52 pm by gene
I've run into trouble before trying to use the same nail holes. Some fabrics make it difficult to find the holes.

I've used a longer shaft before. I was worried about the nails staying in the wood once and used a 7/16" shaft when the old nails were 3/8". It may not have made a difference but I do worry about a nail coming out and someone's hamster getting hurt by stepping on it.

I actually did Paul's idea once on a chair that had been reupholstered many times and there were many, many holes in it. I was feeling comfortable with my sawdust/glue application and the customer called and said that they changed their mind and wanted to go with double welt cord. Oh well.

Just remember, suzieqallt, once you put that first decorative nail into the wood, you only have 299 more to go.

best of luck,

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

suzieqallt

Thanks.  I have used sawdust and glue before on single nail holes.  The shaft on these decorative nails that I took out are already 1/2 inch.  Can I get away with using a putty knife to press in the glue and sawdust? 

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

I had a salesman stop by in years past with things that were a "handy" sorta tool he gave away, like hats or scrapers or oil applicators as this and even pen types. So this thought came up and as I found surprisingly Luthier craftsman use this occasionally with glues in the music works. This particular one could be discarded to me afterwards if need be, or just kept filled.
good day
Floyd

https://www.amazon.com/Ferrees-Tools-Key-Syringe-Oiler/dp/B001VO438E

suzieqallt

Thanks a lot, everyone.  I think I am good to proceed with the project.