Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:47:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New guy intro and needle position servo request for update.

Started by wecover, January 12, 2017, 08:53:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wecover

Hello.
New guy here.
Part time Wana be. Being doing IT work for 30 years and want to transition to a part time upholstery something as I move from full time IT work to unemployment the way things are going.. Been doing small jobs like seat covers, cushions and motorcycle seats for about a year. I really enjoy the work.

Many thanks to the people on this board. You guys have saved me countless hours and the pictures of your work are outstanding.  The patterning just kills me how easy you make it look.

On to the questions if you would be so kind.

I have searched the forum here and see several posts on servos with needle position setups. There are a few comments on using them, but no real comments on any downsides to them, or people saying the needle position setup is better than sliced bread kind of thing. 
What is the current mindset on these things?

I have a Juki 1541 and it has a servo, but my oem servo won't upgrade to add the needle position sensor.  I am making seat covers with lots of channels and have to roll the hand wheel over and over to put the needle up or down.  Yea, my skill level isn't good enough to always stop in the desired poition. If these are so great why doesn't everyone have one?  Upgrade cost is not really an issue since I'm still a full time IT guy. I spend that much on taking the wife out to dinner this month. Maybe it is one of those kinds of things like still using a clutch motor on your machine. Works ok, and gets the job done but whooooo the servo thing is nice... Just seems like a huge time saver to not have to roll the wheel by hand constantly.

What say you kind souls.

We Cover

scott_san_diego

Welcome to the board.

If your servo motor can not at the needle positioner, then you will need to buy a new servo motor that will come with the positioner that will mount to wheel.  Then you can set it to end in the down or up position.  You can find then on the internet for about $120.

MinUph

New guy,
  The servo motors are great.I have two and came from 40+ years on clutch motors. I have never used a needle positioner and don't know how good they would be. Gadgets are sometime useful sometimes not. I have been so use to turning the wheel it has become common practice. I would probably grab the wheel for years if I went with a positioner. So this said. If you are new and think this will be helpful to you go for it. For the money it isn't a big thing. Or just get use to sewing using the wheel like the rest of the small shop people do.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

Sounds familiar, I was in software support and development, ending up in a company that was on a downward spiral.   Chucked it all and went into furniture repair.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

wecover

Thanks for the comments. 

I think what I'm looking for here is what are the problems with these things.  Are there weird issues like you can't do the Hand wheel anymore. 

wecover

Hi By Hammer
It has been a good run and I can't complain. I really don't know what will happen but I can only take what comes. I hope the repair gig Is working out for you.

brmax

It may help with your location, and others may recommend a local place or region possibly.
It seems the servos have made some strides and doing so went brushless and followed up with the ongoing electronics.
As you would know this electronic stuff moves pretty quick in development. Although out here can be relegated to supply and demand, so the best is as usual big bucks.
I would ask first really if any other materials are in your future project task just for offering a best product opinion. that maybe worth just 2 cents
The more money will confidently make ya happier with positioners, honestly you cant shortcut this you get what ya pay for.
The cheap ones start at 250. with positioner and go Down shipping maybe included?
With that, great ones start at about 700. and go up
Might a speed reducer help in more power needed?, this would be easier at ends and starts i think. They clearly wouldn't help back pedaling to raise the needle or vice versa however ya set it, but nailing the spot you want to stop could be great.
If this may interest you I would talk to Bob at Toledo Sewing (www.tolindsewmach.com)about the new box style reducer pulley.
If the servo with positioner is the biggest interest Gregg at Keystone (www.keysew.com)has a great selection.

good day
Floyd

wecover

Thanks Floyd
I'm in Oklahoma. My local dealer where I bought the machine  from doesn't carry these kinds of upgrades. Not really a speed or power issue. I can go super slow when needed. No need for the speed reducereading with the existing servo. When I first got the machine I tried a smaller pulley but ended up putting the original back on.  I think it is just lazy on my part. My mechanic slash software developer side of my brain keeps asking why I need to reach up and turn the wheel over and over to move the needle up and release the thread.  For now I'll turn the wheel, if I get to the point where im making more then odds and ends and time = money, then I'll call keystone.

John.

brmax

I can understand, heck we cannot expect to much on the shelves.
Some of the motors i like and the $range generally are sew quiet and have 2 with positioner. Each have their own get aquainted thing, if jumping from one to other. Ones a 6000 others are 5000 they benefit best with smallest pulley available 50mm for the 5000series and i would like to see if the six can use the same im not positive on that shaft, as i have considered a reducer on that so haven't pursued 15bucs for a pulley. It needs it (because it grunts just slightly at start punching .460" 29layers of top gun canvas)
I actually think it would benefit more with it than the 5000 fwiw.
These servos have evolved as the 5 uses a lite type gradient in the accelerator switching. I believe the 6 has newer design possibly induction style, also includes software improvements as shut down in situations where older 5 im not aware of. This shut down ive noticed if motor senses/sees no upper pulley movement and it will still spin for a sec, then puts itself in a mode "only" you code people comprehend. i just know it dont go.
If you consider the SQ i can tell you from experience Greg is the place. I try to listen a bit and doing this im confident any SQ motor will make a family sew owner happier, at a small cost i believe. No offense both places have them. Bob also has newer servos looking like the sq5 as on the Cowboy 4500.
hope that helps with the future plans

Floyd