Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:42:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Courting Commercial

Started by ACE, December 19, 2016, 09:28:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ACE

Been working upholstery for 30+ years.  Had plenty of business before the recession hit and am working to recover my numbers even today.  I'm considering more commercial contracts, but all my commercial business from before came to me.  Any advice on who/how/where to contact as I begin this active sales campaign for commercial jobs?

SteveA

Welcome to the site  -  I hope the new year brings you all the hours of work you can handle.
I'm sure there are many ways to go about this.  For myself - I would visit some of my local office, and medical buildings.  Hand out cards, - maybe try to find the building manager and tell him how much you'd appreciate his introduction to clients and endorsement of your services.  How was it that business knocked on your door before and not as much now ?
SA

ACE

Thanks for the welcome to the site.
In regards to your question, the interior designers I worked with brought me the commercial business.  Many of my best contacts were lost with the recession for different reasons.  Outside of seeking new highly connected interior designers, I want to take making the contacts into my own hands.

SteveA

You can again seek out new ID's - go through the yellow pages - send flyers etc. Sub contract out your services to very busy shops.   Another thing is to start upholstery classes.  They will help in spreading your name -  and teaching is very satisfying. You can sell materials at the class and you'll wind up completing some jobs for students that just want a master to do the finished work. 
Good Luck
SA

baileyuph

Direct contact will potentially bring you a lot of work.  Visit the type of organizations you want work with and introduce and if they have obvious work, give them an estimate but get the right person in charge to communicate with.

I don't even solicit and just finished 8 dental chairs for a large office (never knew they had so many dentist).  Plus, to add, be willing to work on items made off shore.  I am sure what I worked on was because the traditional quality found in those chairs long ago just isn't there.  Plus the vinyl didn't last like some older chairs from the past.

One part of my experience with this kind of work is ........they want it fast because there aren't extra dental chairs available.  I had to work all weekend to get this job.  Removed after hours and had to reinstall early before their opening time over weekend.

Welcome, let us know how it goes.

Doyle

65Buick

I'm in the same boat. And wow, you must have been lucky to have work come to you prior to the recession.

I have been using everything that would work well for me: Social media like Facebook, Word of Mouth.

Social media is extremely important, very powerful, and in my opinion and absolute necessity. Especially for 'down under' businesses like ours.

I've put some ads on Facebook and it does help spread word, even if it does not immediately get you work. It's cheap too and you can choose how much you want to spend.

Good Luck