Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 06:19:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ratchet and webbing for boat cover drawstring

Started by babock, December 15, 2016, 11:17:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

babock

I have seen a few boat covers online that use webbing and a ratchet instead of a rope in the hem of a boat cover. Anyone else done that and how do you create the pocket the the ratchet goes in?

Darren Henry

I've done it several times and it works great. To make the pocket I just sew a piece of velcro on  the cover above the ratchet and a rectangle with the edges hemmed and the other half of the velcro on the inside of the cover. This rectangle then wraps around the hem and over the ratchet to form the pocket. I'll look tonight to see if I have some pics.

Be careful with the webbing. The last one I did, the webbing I used had too much stretch to suite me.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

babock

Was planning on using Sunbrella polyester webbing unless that stretches too much.

Which ratchet did you use?

Darren Henry

I used to stock and use the heavy duty 1" ratchets from J Ennis fabrics when I had my shop, along with their HD webbing. Guys used to get tie down straps custom made. Here I just buy a decent quality tie down locally and use the ratchet from it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

babock

Mike

I remember june c used to do this  but never asked.    most all cover I do are on boats with t tops and there are zippers at the t top on each side currently I have a pereimeter strap on the cover with nylon side release buckles to connect the strap ant the zipper bottoms. id think a ratchet strap would break these buckles . how do you handle this?