Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:37:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fabric failed. Supplier responsible?

Started by vu, December 14, 2016, 10:21:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

vu

Customer brought back semi big order of dinning chairs (not a simple ones) done in leather looking vinyl. They were used indoors and now the vinyl peeling like crazy in the areas of use (seat, top of the back where they grab it to move it). Big question - anyone have experience getting money for fabric AND labor back from the fabric supplier, who sold the fabric for things like this? Surprisingly it is the first time I have to deal with this type of situation.  This vinyl is listed on supplier label and site as esceeds 100,000 double rubs heavy duty and stain resistant.
Let me know, like to hear what you think.

SteveA

How long has it been in use since you completed the work  ?
SA

vu

It was less then a year, I would say 11 months.

MinUph

Sounds like rebonded leather. Peeling is the norm for this crap. Good luck getting help. That will depend on the supplier. I've heard of labor being refunded once in 48 years. Fabric maybe but don't plan on labor. But by all means do try. Take the sample book and all rebonded leather and place it in the trash can.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Bonded leather does not last - my Son bought a bonded leather sofa in Bob's $ 400.00 - great deal right Dad ?  Lasted one year and the top of every cushion shredded like a cat clawed it.  You say your fabric was vinyl that looked like leather - if it's a supplier you use all the time it's worth a try to ask for something back especially since they claim double rubs etc.
SA

vu

Apparently the failed part of the order was done a bit more then 3 years ago, so we are going to try to say that it was to long to claim anything. The part of the order that was done about a year ago is still good. It sucks because it is a very good high end customer.
Supplier did not respond yet to the question of how they deal with this situations.

Mojo

If you look at the fine print on material warranties you will see that labor is not included.

I cannot speak for the material you use but in the case of the vinyl we buy it has a steadfast 5 year warranty. On acrylic such as Sattler and Recacril it has a 10 year warranty. I have had to go back to our supplier for a warranty claim one time and it was a huge warranty claim. They stepped up and replaced the fabric and actually gave me more then I used. No questions asked.

Your warranty claim will be with your supplier. They in turn go back to the manufacturer themselves.

Chris

baileyuph

By now, one would think most know the processed leather or whatever is the wrong way to go.

It is hard to understand why anyone - the manufacturer, supplier, or retailer would get involved with the material.  I see it almost every day with peeling problems when less than couple months old.

I guess there is some kind of stigma to put a good grade of vinyl on furniture - or is it simply  consumers aren't informed and haven't learned?

As far as auto manufacturers using it in their interiors.........don't recall seeing any of it there.  Probably because of liability in their warranty?

There might not be much recourse if you get bit by the stuff.  Manufacturers more than likely mill based on a spec with buyers.

Technically, what permits it to peel so early or at all?

Doyle

sofadoc

Here is the "leather" furniture in the Texas Ranger's clubhouse.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

The cushion inserts and arm padding looks like it held up well - that can't be leather from Texas
SA

baileyuph

Looks like the back rest cushions (the distorted dark spots) are a big problem?
Replacement with the same material isn't a good solution for fear it will happen again?

Doyle

emy

I guess, a soft vinyl repair tape that I can use to reinforce and keep it from spreading would be fine. Else opt for a cover

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

kodydog

Quote from: vu on December 18, 2016, 09:05:49 pm
It sucks because it is a very good high end customer.
Supplier did not respond yet to the question of how they deal with this situations.

VU If this is a good customer like you say you may want to consider replacing the fabric for free. Its only dining chairs after all. Or you may want to suggest splitting the cost seeing the fabric is only 3 years old. Its better to make a customer happy in hopes of more work in the future then to have them spread bad words about you.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on March 02, 2017, 04:51:37 am
Are you bidding on that job Sofadoc?
No. I just saw it on TV, and it surprised me that a big budget sports franchise would have such crap furniture.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban