Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 07:15:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Recliner mechanisms won't stay latched

Started by baileyuph, October 31, 2016, 06:00:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Mechanisms on a love seat (both sides) will not stay latched.  While sitting they will open (meaning the foot rest go to the up position).

I am not familiar with any adjustment on the mechanism that should be looked at to correct the problem. 

Any ideas on a specific cause for this problem?

Doyle

MinUph

Is there a spring missing on the latch? Is it a cable mech? If none of the above its possible the catches are worn. Replace is a possibility.
You didn't say what type these are. Are you recovering them?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Paul,

Not recovering, just asked to fix.  Had this situation just few months back on one near new and factory had provided new mechanisms but they had the same problem.  The customer said, if they just pressed on backrest, the footrest would fly out. 

This does not appear to be made in USA??  But most foreign like this do work.

This setup has lever in arm, cable is extended down to mechanism.  Pull lever to release.

Strange to say the least.  You would think if mechanism is closed and latches, something would have to push on it to get it to release.  This one just won't stay latched.  Like I say, the second experience within a few months.

Doyle

Darren Henry

I work on these all the time. There is no "latch" involved. The bar at the top of the footrest mechanism has to cam over centre to lock the mechanism. When you pull the cable a lever pushes the end of the linkage back over centre and the mechanism opens.

Follow the cable down to the little (usually silver) trip mechanism and ensure that it is secure to the frame. Now force that joint that it trips up over centre and see why it isn't dong that normally. It can be the result of not closing the mechanism with enough authority. It can be a bend linkage etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

"not caming over"  is a better description than "latching".  So with that clarity, when trying to cam over it doesn't go completely over.  Pulling the handle (connecting cable) works and is tightly in place.

I have inspected the relative position of the mechanism to the wood frame to see if the footrest has enough clearance to fully go in (to see if it was obstructing the "cam over"  movement.  Couldn't convince myself of yes or no.

It was a mystery to lightly move the backrest and see the foot rest kick out.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on November 02, 2016, 05:23:31 am
I have inspected the relative position of the mechanism to the wood frame to see if the footrest has enough clearance to fully go in (to see if it was obstructing the "cam over"  movement.  Couldn't convince myself of yes or no.
I've had a few that I was able to increase what you call the "cam over" by reducing all the padding obstruction around the perimeter of the footrest.

Try this. Remove the footrest from the mech. Does the mech lock in tight (cam over) with no footrest? If so, add some spacers under the footrest bolts, and re-install it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

"Spot on"  Dennis.  That has revealed the truth on several for me.

Without to much more detail about the footrest offering "cam" obstruction, some........but not all mechanisms can be unscrewed from the wood frame and repositioned forward as the same effective solution.

This furniture market has really changed over time.  Asian labor is so much cheaper than in this part of the world, we can fight it or learn to deal with it.

Great input, thanks everyone.

Doyle

byhammerandhand

Quote from: DB on November 03, 2016, 07:45:23 pm
  Asian labor is so much cheaper than in this part of the world, we can fight it or learn to deal with it.

I might also add, if you are ever quoting a mech R&R from Ashley, realize that Ashley does not send you a new mech.   They send you a mech kit -- the arms, connecting rods, latches, and bolts.   Well, most of them, sometimes you need to pull hardware off the old mech.  And assembly instructions for a different mech.  Take your cordless drill and nut drivers.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison