Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 21, 2024, 12:48:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Windsor chair

Started by gene, August 18, 2016, 06:56:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I found this series of videos fascinating. This guy has been making furniture for 30 years. I thought some of you folks might find it of interest also.

He starts with buying the logs. Just imagine if we had to chase down and kill cotton tail rabbits to get the cotton, and then weave it into thread, and then hand stitch seat cushions, etc.   :o

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

I'm repairing a Moser chair.  They started out making one piece at a time.  The quality and handcraftsmanship is still present today but you know they rely more on machinery and technology today to push out the product in bulk.  But it's nice to know how to use a hand saw before you use a table saw or a plane before a joiner    -
SA

Darren Henry

QuoteI found this series of videos fascinating

Please share the link. I'd be very interested.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

I visited the Moser factory a long time ago (mid '80s?)   I thought it was pretty automated then, and that was long before CNCs were common.    They had some sort of a large area surrounded by plastic screens that moved a router across to scoop out the seats.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

August 19, 2016, 09:07:09 pm #4 Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:09:50 pm by gene
Sorry. Here's his youtube channel. Chris Buchanan

https://www.youtube.com/user/curtisbuchanan52

Watching him do so much by hand, and how much he worked with the grain of the wood for the different parts of the chairs, I found amazing. He said he has a young guy sand the chairs by hand before he paints because his hands and arms are too worn out from having done 1500 chairs.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!