Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 03:13:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

carpet backing

Started by rpmi605, July 30, 2016, 05:31:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rpmi605

Don't shoot me, I have already posted this in a few marine forums without success.  I removed the 14 year old COCKPIT/OUTSIDE snap down carpet from my boat.  The backing has rotted out and there is almost none left on the carpet itself.  Some of it appears to have baked into the texture tread fiberglass floor.  I have tried pressure washing, stiff bristle brush, WD40, and goof off.  The only thing working is using a small flat screwdriver and digging it out of the texture.  Any idea if I an use some type of solvent to dissolve or soften it so it comes off?

brmax

July 31, 2016, 06:13:10 am #1 Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:29:09 am by brmax
What do you determine success? your leaving that specific open! hehe
Moving on here, if you have already and continue to use the goof off/ I don't know.
but if you try the goo gone in the tougher blend, I found it is tops removing the carpet issues though not without the very careful scraping of wood or any surface. I am going to need a study time on the project, but I think it may be a situation. What I mentioned believe me is just about an impossible job "but" with time and I mean time this is the stuff.
Especially the old padding under carpet in residential of old, they best and clay make up I believe it had, the old stuff!
Any photos of the surface, its most likely going to be a dull surface now but still careful removal needed. Its possible a glue or adhesive was also used at some point.
I could only recommend what maybe used normally cleaning of grease or silicones from fiberglass.
So general stuff

appreciate knowing anything you come up with
Floyd

Darren Henry

I have yet to find a miracle chemical. I get the biggest lumps with a heat gun and a putty knife. The rest I clean up with a wire brush in the drill. Carpet will cover the old rubber backing as long as the carpet "yarns" are gone.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!