Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 03:22:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dolly Hand truck uno

Started by brmax, July 28, 2016, 02:10:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

I have been considering this the last few days, (reflection) because college dorm elevators don't seem to work on the very dam day the should "move in day" uh hello!
I'm glad that's over, the youngest got an apartment anyway, I have ask how many steps to campus sidewalk but haven't heard as yet. But I'm sure the need for moving the car from 300 yards over to another lot is a priority as things are different now Dad.
Oh sure! sounds like it should be studied further, Am I venting hmm.

Now my excuses are out the way, now to study the moving of work tool stuff n stuff, let me explain.
We here have some small but consistent hills these only are around the lakes as I travel, park here or launch boat.
Then walk around to docks if lucky maybe more along this, drive and park then carry whatever down cliff / 100-300ft elevation to docks that's no sweat except last week at 90-100 then the back up for different snap box or battery left behind seat or whatever.

Anyway considering a handtruck option, light and cheap maybe asking a tinner to weld on it something resembling a aluminum box of sorts to sit items of easy removal like bags to through in pickup later on, but attaching a step ladder is a needed handy item at the first go round in my arena.
https://hand-truck.net/p/AK52K19-Aluminum-Hand-Truck
http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/3-step-ultralight-aluminum-step-stool

Thought about this at first and then recall my dolly, steel cheapo but same looking stair bar, first mine was not tall enough for stairs, ( do you really want me to discuss dorm stairs) anyway seems to much bending and the fancy stair bars needed to be closer to wheel edge or at least 2" from bar surface. Probably rocket science in this development but I didn't get that ride.

I cannot re-find (new word) the page I had seen but these were way over what I though I would use, none the less they been there. This page was related to pro dog shows possibly may have been related to field dogs also I don't know.
Has any of you seen and considered this as an option for your out of shop task. curious

Floyd

PS: hand truck is like a pick n shovel in a goldmine in this described dorm day scenario, the eyes get bigger real quick, smartest thing I brought except student ; )

Darren Henry

I have a hand cart like that converts to a dolly back in Kenora. There are caster wheels 2/3 of the way up the handle and the top half of the handle unclips and slips into another socket when you lay it down. [Think produce cart at the grocery store]. Handy around the shop---dead useless in the field.

Your topography sounds much like back in Kenora. Instead of stairs most of the marinas there have ramped paths down to the floating docks, though. Some have carts similar to this old garbage bin.

The plywood box is roughly 2X3X1 1/2 feet and the wheels are 16" bicycle tires. The Wheels are further forward and the handles are much longer---like a wheel barrow.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

That one sounds pretty serious with the casters n all.
Must be nice up there ramps wha?
I am trying to come up with something that can still be thrown in the pickup. So I guess a few boxes and bag holder. I picked up an idea awhile back from Keith and June for small snaps (take a long ) storage box. I got it from harbor freight, although Plano makes one and probably the original.
I need a bit better structure protecting it and a twin possibly, its not heavy maybe 10 but that box and several other things, drill, deck bag.
Some of the places do have the marina / landscape kinda carts like that but? I'm keeping it lite.
Might just bolt on an over size milk crate or two, in the meantime here I'm keeping an eye out for ideas.
The roller luggage items is an idea but with big wheels as that seems to be great on carts imo.

Floyd

byhammerandhand

July 31, 2016, 04:44:34 am #3 Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:57:21 am by byhammerandhand
Would something like this do?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641807_200641807?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Lawn%20%2B%20Garden%20%3E%20Wagons%20%2B%20Yard%20Carts&utm_campaign=Strongway&utm_content=46441&gclid=CLuylJvPnc4CFQ1ZhgodiFQN3A

Nice thing about this is the large wheels that can handle rough terrain.

If too big, you can buy the wheels and axles and build a smaller one out of some plywood, bent EMT, aluminum angle iron (is that an oxymoron?).  Maybe even with a flip top lid
http://www.familyhandyman.com/landscaping/diy-garden-cart/view-all

------

Another option http://www.lowes.com/pd/Gorilla-Carts-5-5-cu-ft-Poly-Yard-Cart/4363197?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-OutdoorPowerEquipment-_-WheelbarrowsAndCarts-_-4363197:Gorilla_Carts&CAWELAID=&kpid=4363197&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=542&k_clickID=d0ab1709-7762-4a05-a8b0-1fdd3348d107

-----

Ideas: https://www.google.com/search?q=garden+cart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3-53j0p3OAhWJ6IMKHTjdAawQ_AUICSgC&biw=1252&bih=558
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

All Great ideas there Keith thanks!
Them big wheel carts when really moving some stuff are tops as you guys have mentioned, the balance just make it a good choice.
I'm liking that worx style a bit more right now, thanks for these links, them wide wheels could be handy for sure in small gravels I see and others like sand.
I found a oversize milk crate and tried fitting two of my small storage boxes in, but oh so dang close wasn't happening. I will look for some others to try, the stackable just seems to kik but rolling down some walk paths /hills, also I can load and unload from truck pretty organized? if that's possible.
Heres a small storage I like and was the tip I talked about earlier, this new model one has its small box latches built pretty stout. Stoked on that and have plans, Anyway this has the potential for just taking a small if needed and exactly my choice if needed.
http://www.wayfair.com/Plano-Stow-N-Go-Organizer-Box-135430-L78-K~LNO1116.html?refid=GX103069600083-LNO1116&device=c&ptid=168789479283&gclid=CJexzcTcnc4CFQyraQodhBsMQw
Usually a milk crate size and step ladder is where its at plus canvas, so I could rope some crates on the ladder I guess but sure enough I would get stuck!, they always put the poles to close together?
Wow I need some coffee
Thanks for the leads and have a good day you all
Floyd

byhammerandhand

July 31, 2016, 05:03:57 pm #5 Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:13:16 pm by byhammerandhand
I have made a number of what I call "apple crates" from scrap wood, and I've also purchased a couple.

My version has a 1x12 on each end with a hand hold routered out.   The sides and bottom are just whatever scrap I have sitting around.  Glue and staple slats on the sides and bottom and off you go.

I've made some from 1/4" ash, 1/4" poplar, reclaimed bed slats (plywood) or whatever.   I saw a youtube video last night where the guy made a bunch of potato bins from 2x4's.   The video showed after planing the sides and faces flat, he'd ripped each 2x4 into 7 slats.  His were only about 6" tall, though (maybe  1x6s??)

You could make these whatever size you wanted.   I keep sandpaper in one, have one in the wife's car for groceries and misc shopping items, I have recliner parts in one and probably a couple more just to be used as needed.  I also have a box that I made to hold 4 of the Harbor Freight storage totes (I like them because they have removable and repositionable bins inside, not just dividers)

You can also find crates for not much (but more than scrap prices) at places like Hobby Lobby, Menards, Home Depot

If you want, I'll post some photos.  But here's a commercial version similar, but with thinner ends.

The ones I bought from an Amish shop look more like this, if you have a lot of thin wood and not much 1x12.  The corners on mine are triangular, but rectangular would work as you won't be crushing apples.

The only problem with the pre-made ones is that you can't get a specific size.  I made mine all a standard size so they stack well (12x12x24)

With a bit of care, you can add a bottom cleat so they nest and interlock when stacking.

The other thing I have is a rolling tool cart.   "It sounded like a good idea at the time," but did not work for me, going in and out of homes.  My version has a tool box on the top, which is easily removed or locked, two drawers in the middle, and a large tilt-out hopper in the bottom.   The whole kit is on wheels in the back and has a hand hold, sort of like a rolling suitcase.   Wheels are about 4" diameter.  It's since been converted to shop storage of hardware and sits in the corner.  I think it's the older version of this:
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

here are a couple cool folding carts at west marine

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/creative-outdooor--folding-utility-wagon-blue--16721144?recordNum=1
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/tipke-manufacturing--marine-utility-cart--P000388959?recordNum=4

aside from the occasional 300 yRDSA TREK TO  the last slip in a marina its the 50 yard walk around a house to the dock out back in 7" thick spongy grass

Darren Henry

that first link of Keith's is very close to what I was talking about. I do really like that folding one Mike linked to---but a bit pricey.

I have the same plano tackle box and use it for snaps etc... Works great. I also have a couple of those organizers Keith posted. They are great too.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

I did some searches originally to snag some photos.   "We know who you are and what you are doing."

Now I am getting ads for same. (as well as a tool to remove ingrown toenails !?!  I think from SofaDoc's auto hose pliers search).

This one looks pretty cool
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Keter-Master-Pro-24-1-4-in-Utility-Cart-197481/204513596?cm_mmc=socialmedia%7Cfb%7Cdpa%7CD25T%7Cviewed%7Cdsk

Keith

Darren Henry

The other installer from Kenora when I did that stint with bathfitter bought the cousin to this one. It was configured more like a mechanic's tool box, but similar construction and size. IMHO; not worth the powder it would take to blow it into the next postal code. He was never very happy with it. Wheels were too small, dimensions didn't jive with common tools etc... and the latches were not very good.