Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 14, 2024, 01:20:20 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cutting Sufaces

Started by brmax, June 11, 2016, 07:42:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Good morning!

Do you all use some of the cutting mats available and are they pliable enough to flatten quickly from a rolled storage or best left flat.

Floyd

sofadoc

Are you talking about those self-healing cutting mats?

I used them for a while several years ago. They were best left flat. I had three 2' X 4' mats butted together. They developed little nicks along the edges when you cut across where they were butted together at. You couldn't achieve a clean cut across those nicks.

I eventually changed to an electric rotary cutter, and trashed the mats.

I would say that if you're going to use one, get a big assed one, and leave it flat all the time.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Yes the so called self healing mats, running in the ads and supply stores we see.

Some green or white ones I was curious from discussions here lately.
I had thought the use of one and switch back and forth, or just covering with temporary carpet.

Ok, I may use a stationary one for a project and big thanks for the btdt experience.
Will take a look around this weekend

Thanks
Floyd

Joys Shop

I got one that covers my entire cutting surface.   8' by 64"   It's great
When it becomes too damaged at the end I always use, I'll turn it around so the other end is there
then
when that side is too damaged
I'll completely turn it over and start using those 2 ends
but
I've been using the one end for about 5 years so far
Cost me a pretty penny, but is well worth it
I used to butt 2 together, and I hated it---they were always moving around

brmax

That sounds great, and I can only imagine plenty of pennys.

Is that sheet a special shipping item or were you able to pick up local some how. It seems some could be rolled and shipped, though if that could be rolled still would go over on ups length I think.

I have seen some sheets today around the net and the stuff is not light nomatter so keeps me huntin.

Really have something like that in mind, for one area at first anyway.
By the way please, do you use any of the roll cutters with it. Curious as I did pick one up when a sale was going on and do plan for its use along with some others.

Thanks for your help it's appreciated for sure
Floyd

Joys Shop

I bought it over the internet
I use rotary cutters on it
I had a straight edge made out of clear plexiglass---I had it made the width that I cut my welt by 60"
Use the rotary cutter to cut out the welt
at least until I stepped on the ruler after I forgot that I had dropped it on the floor.
I'm going to have a new one made where the length equals the width of my cutting table