Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 09:06:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Milestone WHO HOO

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, April 17, 2016, 01:26:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I had a gentleman call 2 weeks ago with a boat tarp that the stitching had split on.  Of course, he wanted to come over and wait while I stitched it (on a Friday evening no less).  I, as patiently as possible, explained about the broken knee, contractor issues and that I was committed to 4 prom dresses and 2 weddings so I couldn't possibly get it done then.  Dude was persistent and even wanted to come and "maneuver the fabric" for me if that would help.  I stressed again about the broken RIGHT knee and offered to in 2 or 3 weeks.  He was concerned, of course, about rain on his boat interior but I had no choice but to hold firm to my position.

I figured he had found someone else but Friday early afternoon, he called again, wanting to bring the tarp by for pick-up Sunday afternoon.  When he dropped it off, he opined that it would start pouring Saturday afternoon.  Which it did.  I think he was hoping to shame me into an on the spot repair but I needed to oil my machine and move some clutter on the top of it, etc., so I told him I would call him once it was fixed.

After he left, I wondered to Bob if I would be able to.  I tried a few left foot practice runs and my coordination was just not going to let that happen so today I sat as far back from the machine as I needed to keep my right foot straight and much to my amazement I could.  I tried my pressure foot on my Bernina maybe 10 days ago and it wasn't intense pain but just wasn't comfortable and I didn't get that sensation at all today. 

Called customer when I was finished and, of course, he isn't going to pick up until tomorrow now.  I told Bob before I called that was my prediction.  People are so funny!

Anyway, I was just elated that I've healed enough to start upholster type sewing with my "bad" leg.  Especially since I should get the vinyl for the barber's chairs tomorrow and hope to start sewing welting Tuesday some time.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

When I broke my heel, I found it easier to sew with my left foot even after I got the walking boot.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

I knew you had said that some time ago.  I practiced a bit and it just wasn't happening so I went guts up and figured out how to keep my right leg straight so I could sew with it.  No pain or discomfort at all with it so that's good progress.  29th is almost here but dang it seems like it's never going to get here.  I'm having serious issues with keeping the brace up.  I've tightened the velcro as well as the straps but it still keeps falling.  10 long days to go.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Darren Henry

Hang in there. Now that you're so busy working the time will speed up I'm sure.

As for the brace---you could try cutting the toes out  of an old tube sock and pulling it up over the brace to keep it in place if the brace isn't too bulky.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Brace is way too thick for any kind of tube sock to around it.  Not sure how but yesterday it stayed up without any real issues.  Hoping for similar results today.  I think I really cinched the straps tight yesterday and that seemed to help.  After I'd been up for a while, I did have to loosen them a bit because of a little selling after I'd been up a bit.  Hopefully the next, and last week, will go like yesterday.

Working actually makes the brace issue more frustrating.  Like you're trying to walk across the length of your work facility and you have to stop every 5 or 6 steps to pull the brace back up into place, going up or down the steps and winding up with it down around your ankle before you're half-way through the steps, etc.  Had me spitting bullets Monday for sure.  Plus, leg just feels better when the brace is sitting correctly.  Anyway, this too shall pass!

Virginia
Fuck this place.

Mike

[quote author=Virgs Sew n Sew link=topic=14047.msg114735#msg114735 date=14609247870

Called customer when I was finished and, of course, he isn't going to pick up until tomorrow now.  I told Bob before I called that was my prediction.  People are so funny!

[/quote]Virginia I get these people all the time want to wait and then the once that cant dome and get it now.  im thinking "what the heck are you doing now? get in the car and be here in 15 minutes.  or they ask me what time to I close. so I always say im leaving at a earlier time and they get there at the very last minute sometimes I ready to go just waiting for them and wait and wait then they call im not going to make it.