Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:59:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Business - Help picking out new machine

Started by APMUpholstery, March 22, 2016, 01:04:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

APMUpholstery

Hello,

I will first point out that, although I have done a lot of reading, this is my first post on here. I have done a bit of searching in the forums regarding which machine to purchase but most of the info I found appears to be several years old. I doubt much has changed but thought I would ask. :)

I am starting a new boat upholstery business and want to purchase a new machine.  I have been doing upholstery as a hobby for myself and some friends for several years now. With the new business, I will be making boat covers, camper enclosures and boat upholstery. I have been using an old Consew 225 for a while now. I upgraded the motor to a servo motor with a needle position sensor, which was a major improvement!!  The 225 has been a great machine so far. However, my biggest issue is that this machine does not have reverse and it is getting quite old. Since the 225 is the only machine I have that handles vinyl and heavy materials, if it was to fail, I would not be able to work. Therefore, I am looking for a new machine to upgrade and use my 225 as backup. I will point out that I do not expect to do much, if any, zig-zag sewing.  

I have a budget of $3k (give or take a little) to get a good quality machine that will last a long time. It seems that a lot of people have been very happy with their Juki's.  However, I am open to other recommendations as well.

I was looking at the Juki LU-1508NS with the servo motor upgrade, which looks like a pretty good machine for what I will be doing.  It's $2,500 @ http://www.sewinggold.com/J1508NS.html

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and respond! Any input is greatly appreciated.  

sofadoc

Any of the newer machines will give you more stitch length capability than the old 225.
The 1508 is certainly a great choice.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Welcome!, Glad to share a bit on the machinery.
First I might say shipping is probably about the same from dealers to you, so with that.
Some vendors are able to work a bit through problems that may come up over the phone, or really I mean they know there stuff and make time to address items of interest.
I hear very good remarks from the crowds all over with the vendor Toledo Sewing, Bob Kovar.
I have purchase some smalls from him and received much much more information about machine issues I had while talking to him and placing the orders, He is also a Juki dealer amongst many others.
So your choice is a great one in my opinion, the 1508 has a couple models to choose from ns, nh.
Just like your top loader so familiar to ya no doubt. Its tough to say but I will, the more money you spend on a motor, and possibly one with positioning. I promise you will be happier, they are not all equal. Efka would be at the point. ( I wish I had one )
If you consider the side loader bobbin machines most manufactures have that as well and very good.
I believe its a start here so any other ? just put them up, Glad to help.
Good day there
Floyd

APMUpholstery

Thank you both for your input. 

Floyd, after changing from the old clutch motor to the servo motor on the 225, I don't think I would go without the servo motor now. I will look into the Efka motors a little more.  Based on your comment, I also called Toledo Sewing and left a message to discuss options.   

APMUpholstery

Spoke with Bob at Toledo Sewing today and my new Juki 1508 will be on its way soon!!!  Can't wait to try it out. 

Thanks again for you input on this machine and the referral!

Happy stitching!

Mojo

I am a little late to this party.

You did well by buying the Juki and also buying through Bob. He is a dear friend and is my go to guy for anything machine related.

Bob invested a lot of time in me early in my career. He talked me through some problem areas and taught me a lot about machines and their operations. Because of his patience and willingness to teach me I can pretty much handle anything that can go wrong with a machine unless it is major. I have replaced hook assemblies, needle bars, etc. and completely set up machines from scratch.

I have purchased 4 new machines through Bob and all 4 have been rock stars. You will find the Juki to be a solid performer.

Enjoy,

Chris

baileyuph

Selecting a Juki is not a bad decision.  Along with Mojo, I have a Juki long arm for (primarily marine work)  So let us know about the Juki you have on the way as you use it.

On topic but a curious question to Mojo: "Are all your machines used primarily with flat feet?"  I suspect so, that is the case for my Juki long arm (btw, not a cheap machine).  Of course it will accept all type feet - my machine.

Doyle

RiCat

I have 2 Juki LU563's (along with a Singer 111W - my bear). The first Juki was ok but kinda finicky. It would do it justice to have a new bobbin assembly installed. Then Chris (Mojo) called me one day and ask if I was interested in his Juki LU563. He said Bob had just went through it and replaced what was needed. I am here to say, that is the best machine I have ever had. The bobbin assembly is so nice it has a very nice tight machine sound about it. Chris was a blessing to me with that machine and Bob did an excellent job on the rebuild.

Rick

Mojo

Rick: Ingrid finally got over me selling you that machine. :) It was her favorite. It sewed well but I knew it came from a production setting and probably needed a new hook/bobbin assembly and a few other parts so I dropped it off to Bob Kovar on my way through Ohio and picked it up coming back.
Bobby, Bob's son did the work on that Juki. He is an awesome machine tech like his old man.

Ed ( Kody Dog ) and I bought both of our machines from Monterey Boat Company in Williston. I believe Ed still has his.

Doyle: Our Long Arm is set up for binding and welting. The two twins are set up with flat feet. The Chandler 406 is a spare machine that we will dedicate to welting and then we can leave the long arm for top stitching and binding. We have never had the space for all 4 machines but with the move into the new building we can run all 4 machines at their separate stations.

I have been talking to Bob about a new Juki serger and will probably pick one up later in the year from him. We do have a need for one in regards to the valances on awnings. I just need to go over some cost base analysis numbers first to make sure it is a smart move or not. They are less expensive then a twin needle. But we have a policy that every new machine we buy has to pay for themselves in 12 months time. The twins paid for themselves within 2 months just on increased production times. They essentially cut our production time almost in half.

Chris