Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:24:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I want to work with my wife but can't sew, what skill set should I gain?

Started by ballanrk, March 14, 2016, 10:42:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ballanrk

Hi,

I'm not in the upholstery profession (yet), but my wife is.  She is very skilled, her business is doing well and has been doing re-upholstery for a few years.  She was trained by a real professional for a few years prior to that.  Around Oct 2015 she rented a shop and started getting her name out there -so far so good. 

I'd like to get any feedback from the forum about what skill set I would benefit by learning.  Granted, growth takes time but I'm trying to find a niche (if there is one) in my area that I could develop a skill set in, in order to help her grow.

I perceive a plateau as a one person shop unless you have someone working with you.

Question:
If there was one thing a newbie should focus on (sewing not an option) that could help expand services offered, what would that be?  Are you seeing trends that certain services are being requested more often then previously, etc?

Thanks in advance for your time.

SteveA

Strip furniture and give out business cards - make dinner - do the dishes and tell your Wife how much you appreciate her !

SA

MinUph

Yes start by stripping the furniture. You will learn more about how things are done.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Virgs Sew n Sew

My husband is a huge help to me.  He's the best salesperson I could want, talks to customers if I'm not around, fills out sales tickets, tries to answer questions to the best of his knowledge.  He's incredible at doing tear-out.  When I was working on a large bar/grill, he did most of the tear-out and saved me a TON of time!  Also, just to be supportive when your spouse is having a bad day or struggling with a project is invaluable!

Virginia

ballanrk

Thanks Paul & Steve.

I should have mentioned I already help her strip the furniture, pick projects up and deliver as much as I can while working full time at my job.  Nice one on the appreciation Steve, but I can check those off already:).

I should have expanded a little more on the long term goal.  Paying someone to strip and/or even help her sew are potential options.  I'm considering what I could do to make it a full time career change for me too -build a business so to speak.  The marketing part won't be a problem as that is what I do in my career (digital marketing).  She already has great word of mouth and referrals which can be difficult to get from the start.

Do you seasoned professionals feel a 75K-100K business is realistic as a one person shop?  Granted assistance would be needed with stripping, pickup/delivery etc.  I assumed that expansion of services (diversify income streams) would be the best scenario if I were to help her grow.  I have no want to sew, but everything else from the creative side to learning a new trade are of interest to me.

Regards,

SteveA

You are well beyond any learning curve - I wasn't sure from the initial post. 
You're talking 100 after taxes ?   That seems  steep to me in a one person shop.  I don't believe anyone here goes into a craft business if the first intention is the level of earning.   Time accrued doesn't guarantee more profits either.  As your knowledge grows and you master your trade your physical strength doesn't necessarily follow suit.  Either you run a business or you are the business - but you'll never deny you love what you do -

SA

Darren Henry

When I had my own shop I really wished that the other half had been comfortable learning the "business" side of the business. We established early on that she would never get along with an industrial sewing machine no matter how many years she had sewn on a domestic machine.  We didn't do well with a tape measure or scissors either. If I could have trained her to do the estimates,order the material, do the bookkeeping, etc... and let me use those hours for billable work it would have been a god send. My advice would be to "clock" your wife for a few days. Out off a normal day how many hours were billable time and how much time did she spend on the phone, or showing fabric samples,etc...Don't forget to include filling out ledgers, stroking cheques to suppliers, and all that time. The answer may be right in front of you.

QuoteI assumed that expansion of services (diversify income streams) would be the best scenario if I were to help her grow.

What services is she currently offering? What type's of work is she turning away that the competition may be taking on? What do you see as a viable market in your area that is not being satisfied and that the two of you are set up to tackle with minimum start up capital? Don't take up boat tops if her shop is on the third floor, kinda thing LOL.I'll await your answer before I post more.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

ballanrk

Quote from: SteveA on March 14, 2016, 03:14:57 pm
You are well beyond any learning curve - I wasn't sure from the initial post.  
You're talking 100 after taxes ?   That seems  steep to me in a one person shop.  I don't believe anyone here goes into a craft business if the first intention is the level of earning.

I'm aiming for 75-100K -after taxes, but I'm realistic.  My wife jumped into it for the love of it so I understand that part of it.  I'm looking at it as a career change that would have the potential to offset existing income or come close.  I'm a creative person at heart so building or restoring furniture intrigues me.

ballanrk

Quote from: Darren Henry on March 14, 2016, 03:45:05 pm

What services is she currently offering? What type's of work is she turning away that the competition may be taking on? What do you see as a viable market in your area that is not being satisfied and that the two of you are set up to tackle with minimum start up capital? Don't take up boat tops if her shop is on the third floor, kinda thing LOL.I'll await your answer before I post more.

At present she does re-upholstery, custom cushions and pillows, the occasional commercial job, and is dabbling in wood refinishing.  She set out in Oct 2015 to try and build a business and so far so good on word of mouth, referrals and repeat business.

She turns away leather items, marine and auto, recliners and over stuffed furniture.  

I'm just jumping into the market research but here in our part of FL marine would be a viable market.  But, from what I understand marine can be difficult to master.

Thanks again for your time.  

baileyuph

My answer to your question about business potential is yes, those goals and more are realistic.  

You are already into marketing, nothing different in this business.  

The key to success, at anything, is goal setting, then staying focused, grow with all dimensions of the business (furniture, auto, marine, commercial, and even aviation) that fit your situation and markets.  Your decisions regarding these dimension possibilities will depend on location, market, and the business owners abilities.  Simply set your goal(s) and don't stop.

I have been in this business a long time, love it but am still learning because technology

of produced items in all dimensions continues to change and one changes with it.

I literally enjoy my work, business, and the rewards.

You sound interesting, you and the wife, should give your ideas serious thought.

My background in all dimensions of the work is long with respect to trade skills and management of a business.  

Formally academics include technical studies at the Masters level in technical studies (math/physics, statistics/computer (actually programming) and earth sciences plus more). The reason to express this is I have never had a job that I didn't like, enjoy it all - this background marries the technical with the practical - the technical give theoretical uderstanding to the practical.

The reason to expose this background is to assure you that the goals you set and are committed to will be the direction you end up.

I wish to add that with strong background/skills in marketing, that you have are a major asset for business ownership.  Don't limit yourself to a small operation - just do the smart things.

There is a member on this board who can add significance to the dimension of marketing - Mojo (board name).  Read his previous post and talk - his understanding and experiences plus record is one to read/hear and enjoy - it is an inspiration.

Keep the board posted and keep growing that market background is paramount for success at least tantamount to all the rest that we talk.

Remember goal setting, execution, and understanding is what it is all about,  

Welcome, and hopefully Mojo will have plenty to say to your questions (he can tell you his official name).

Doyle

MinUph

ballanrk,
  All this is wonderful to hear. New people in the business and all. The figures your shooting for does happen to some. Not many. If you are a one man (woman) shop you may never see that outcome. If you build the business to the point of 100k profit you will not be doing it with one or two people. I have worked this trade for 47+ years and never came close to this in income. I am doing better than the first 30 because of the area I'm in now and the fact I have employees. Without them I couldn't make much. I know of one person that became well off and he was an Upholsterer. He won the Lottery. This business is not one to make a lot of money. A good honest living is what its about. Enjoyment in a trade and making customers smile.
  I wish you well in your endeavors. I hope you learn the trade and enjoy it. Help your wife however you can.
  Oh I have had strippers work for me. 2 so far. They were good people, after the last one left I found my other bench man and myself can run rings around either of the strippers and do a much better job. It is very helpful to have pieces ready for the bench person but payroll for an inexperienced position just doesn't help really.
  Good luck.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: ballanrk on March 14, 2016, 05:36:21 pm
I'm just jumping into the market research but here in our part of FL marine would be a viable market.  But, from what I understand marine can be difficult to master.
Yes, marine can be difficult to master. And even when you do master it, the competition can be fierce. Marine is a difficult sector of upholstery to just "dabble in" as a sideline to other sectors.

Commercial re-upholstery has been a Godsend to my career. Restaurants, beauty shops, medical exam tables, etc. For me, way more profitable than residential furniture.

Furniture repairs, foam replacement practically pay the bills while consuming very little of my time.

Even though residential furniture re-upholstery is the basic core of my business, it's actually my least favorite.

Unless you plan to dedicate a separate space to refinishing, I'd sub that out if I were you.

Hard to comment on your financial goals for the business without openly divulging TMI.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

ballanrk

Quote from: sofadoc on March 14, 2016, 06:53:18 pm

Yes, marine can be difficult to master. And even when you do master it, the competition can be fierce. Marine is a difficult sector of upholstery to just "dabble in" as a sideline to other sectors.

Commercial re-upholstery has been a Godsend to my career. Restaurants, beauty shops, medical exam tables, etc. For me, way more profitable than residential furniture.

Furniture repairs, foam replacement practically pay the bills while consuming very little of my time.

Thanks for the insights. 

ballanrk

Quote from: MinUph on March 14, 2016, 06:35:30 pm
I wish you well in your endeavors. I hope you learn the trade and enjoy it. Help your wife however you can.

Thank You