Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:37:20 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Job Security

Started by baileyuph, March 06, 2016, 03:42:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

One of my large corporate accounts sent a large roll of vinyl to my business along with an item to cover.  I suppose there are 35 yards left on the roll and they said just keep it here and we just send the work.

Their comment was "your going to do all our work, no sense in us carrying the vinyl when we need items covered, if that is agreeable."

Talk about job security, they have over a hundred locations (not fast food related work -it is an upscale corp) and aren't doing the bid thing.

That is job security, no shopping around "just do it!"  What a deal!

Business is very good and the profits correlate.

How's your business, more importantly your profits?

I don't have time to get distracted by the events (or is it nonsense in the media)! 

Just to add another dimension to this type of work, it sure sets the stage to develop efficiency which translates into $$$!  Given time, maybe I can share with some who are interested in such and making the buck.

How's your business - better than ever?

Doyle

brmax

Your welcome Doyle, keep us up to date how that works out.
There's always a benefit when one listens.
Floyd

SteveA

Maybe simplistic but I judge my business by what's left in the checking account each month.  As long as I'm in the black - business if going well.  Corporate work is the place to generate the highest paying jobs and profits.  Keeping those accounts for extended periods is sort of a magic trick.  They can also cause you to ignore the kind of work that built your business  - you may not want to endanger that work.  Like Joe Torre used to say when he had to balance 5 number 1 starters - it's a good problem. 

SA

sofadoc

I have 3 fast food joints, a bowling alley, and a specialty manufacturing plant that ship all their vinyls directly to my shop.

Also, a medical supply service sends me rolls for exam tables.

I've had to create a separate storage area just for all this inventory of rolls that don't belong to me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

This is additive to the game and have always made more money from those with money.  Can't get rich from a poor market.  

How is your business?  Full up?

Doyle

gene

March 07, 2016, 06:35:49 am #5 Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:36:35 am by gene
You mentioned 'profits'. What that? My business advisor mentions that sometimes. I should probably find out what that means.  :o

I'm sure you are keeping accurate notes on the use of that big roll. When it eventually runs out, it's always good to have documentation to show the company where it all went to if they should ask.

My business is good. I'm a bit too busy at the moment. I spent many long, enjoyable days learning upholstery and now that I'm pretty good at it I enjoy the upholstery but not the long days.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Gene,
Accounting comes naturally, make an invoice for what is done - do the math if it should be of concern.

There isn't a problem with these people plus they know who they are dealing with. 

As for me the learning process continues because the quest to continue getting better and more efficient never ends.  Time to do a type or specific item is tracked and examined constantly for time saving techniques. 

It was noted long ago that factories are usually (always I suppose) extremely fast and their work is good (quality of materials are commensurate with product price) but personally am very impressed by their efficiency.  So, time required to do something is part of the mindset of running a business. 

Gang common tasks together, do them and so on.

I will never learn or know it all.  Too date, efficiency in staple removal way too low.  Factories don't have t his problem.......they only build!  One of the negatives of being in the current craft of "reupholstering".

Sofa I only have one storing their inventory at my business.  Then, business varies.

So you do fast food, what is an average time a booth last?  Haven't most gotten away from booths?  Some do not have upholstery items for sitting - big savings over time.

Hang in,

Doyle

kodydog

Quote from: gene on March 07, 2016, 06:35:49 am
I'm sure you are keeping accurate notes on the use of that big roll. When it eventually runs out, it's always good to have documentation to show the company where it all went to if they should ask.
gene

True that.

The last place I worked I somehow became the guy who warned the boss when supplies were getting low. It became my fault if we ran out of anything. Whenever I warned him we were getting low on burlap, staples cardboard strips, etc He would always say, already? I just ordered some a month ago. Yeah, well we're not back here eating the stuff. So I learned to put a date on the supplies as they came in.

The next time he questioned the burlap I simply asked him when was the last time you ordered some. And of course his answer was, um I don't know. So I would check the date and tell him 6 months. One roll of burlap between 3 upholsterers in 6 months? I'd say your doing pretty good.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on March 07, 2016, 08:04:39 pm
So you do fast food, what is an average time a booth last?  Haven't most gotten away from booths?  Some do not have upholstery items for sitting - big savings over time.
We've discussed this on another forum how reupholstered booths don't seem to last as long as they did originally. The first cover lasts 5 or more years. The second cover never seems to last near that long, even though its an exact replacement vinyl.

Some of the restaurants that I do are your basic fast-food joints, others are sit-down restaurants. A lot have gotten away from booths.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

I like booths, and think its a go to for families out for the occasional treat or meal.
Considering a positive here Dennis, the company must be getting twice the business :)
All that being said can you give 2 vinyl names and number for the food areas, whether the ritz or my occasional places raising and taking kids to, I should say young adults now and still prefer a booth.
Because I still get ask if I would like to take them to lunch. Of course as adults they have learned to ask in a way that benefit you, I say really. Sure!
Good day
Floyd

baileyuph

March 09, 2016, 08:15:32 pm #10 Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:21:16 pm by DB
Efficiency pays!  This idea my corporate account had of providing the material by the roll and residing at my business is paying off:  For example, They brought the material, I provided service for couple items (all same) and they picked up/paid!

But, to add - regarding the efficiency comment....when the company said there was several more things coming like their current request, here is how the reaction went: Made measurements for the current request but cut for five more items that would be put on the shelf.  This was in the form of getting a head start on smelling impending needs in this market.

I sewed the articles for five more thinking of having them on the shelf to expedite matters in future business.  It worked!  Got the additional business early today and was able to tear down and install for customer picked up at close of business today.  Hmmm, now I ended up making way more profit.  The customer said they owned over a hundred locations (132 I believe) and each has near a hundred of these items each - and they are scheduled for restoration.  The associated math is significant. 

You know sometimes it just pays to work and enjoy the process but equally important -- Think!

Yes, measured once, cut for five and sewed in the same fashion - sure raises the efficiency factor and $$$ follows!

I know we don't run factories but there is a message here - something like consider all possibilities.

Now back to thinking - presently it is on staple removing. Grin

How is it going for you guys, got the decorators performing to everyone's advantage?

All interesting stuff.

Doyle