Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 01:25:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Office chair back?

Started by cthomps, February 23, 2016, 11:28:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

Hey folks. I hope you are all well.

Yep, I'm still saying "sure I can do that."  Any suggestions on how to remove the back of this chair?

Aside from removing the upholstery, and looking, I've got nothing.  I'm afraid it might be a "one shot deal" type of system.  I have tried to lift "up" but nothing.  Thanks everyone. 

With high regards,

Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Virgs Sew n Sew

Take a flexible, thin spatula type item but needs to be thinner than that.  I use my headliner tool and wiggle that thing between the back and the seat.  If there is a catch type of mechanism, you will at least be able to identify where it is.  Once you know where, it's easier to figure out how to loosen it.  I'm betting you can.  I've had 2 or 3 weird latch mechanisms and was able to loosen all of them.  One I wished I hadn't but that's another story.  The other two were very easy to put back together once I knew what I was facing.

Virginia

sofadoc

Yeah, you'll have to pry it off without breaking the fasteners. If you do break them and can't find anything similar at an auto parts store, you can always add screws with countersunk washers on the outside back.

But if you get something long and flat down to where the anchor points are, you should be able to pry them up without breaking them. Many of those plastic backs will pull off with no special tools. Just have to be careful, and stop if you feel too much resistance.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

cthomps

Sooooo there was one that was broken.  I started prying there and saw a screw.  So  I cut the upholstery, removed the foam and found this.

Thennnnn, I broke one trying to pinch it to get it through.  That screw is in there for a reason.  lol  Any ideas where to get them?  Thanks for the help.

SteveA

Taking it off the ped and wheels will give you more torque when prying and dealing with the back - don't worry if you can't find that exact fastener there are many available that will do the same job
SA

brmax

Looks like your the first, lead on.
With your sharing of the photos "thanks"
I believe the screw holds only that end fastening part on, like the factory has different choices to use with that mold. I have to think the foam has a part molded in somehow also that's connecting the plastic.?
If one knows, like now what to look for sometimes an approach could be made here.
So first if it had a vinyl or solid cover I couldn't say but if luck on your side and a tweed style or a more open weave a screw driver through the foam to that fastener screw, and wahla.
So there must be a method in the mold pattern madness, now only you have the secrets, oh man!
Thanks for the pics
Floyd

kodydog

February 23, 2016, 05:13:52 pm #6 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:15:42 pm by kodydog
Those chairs are aggravating. I was in the same place you are more than one time. Just not worth the hassle. I once glued the back on with silicone and clamped it. Not the best method for sure but when done it held. Ugg, I just don't do them anymore.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

cthomps

The seat back is wood.  It has drilled holes which accept the plastic pinchy thingies.  The best course of action on this chair would have been to cut the fabric, remove the padding and thennnnnn remove the back.  Since there are multiples, the next one will go better.  That being said, I think I will just have to "glue" the broken ones some how.  Any ideas?  I was thinking laying it down so the back is horizontal, filing the holes with epoxy, inserting the intact ones and weighting and/or using a strap while the adhesive cures.   I will put some tape over the holes, so the epoxy fills the hole and doesn't run out.  Whatca think?

brmax

February 24, 2016, 06:35:20 am #8 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:38:46 am by brmax
I'm probably missing it here, but in the picture if that part is broke why is there a screw.
Anyway I can see that would be a pain and unlikely to pinch much in any event.
I can see the plastic game items being modified, look out
Maybe ace is the place for something to work on that one
good luck
Floyd

cthomps

Floyd, the part shown in the picture is intact. I did not show the broken ones.  The screw holds the pinchy thingie, to a post, that is pressure fit into the holes.  It was mentioned above that the factories do this so they can interchange parts.

brmax

Ok gotcha, You could use a cut piece of bondo plastic spreader put a hole in it screw it back on. I believe it will bend and return pretty darn well for your application. I couldn't find any dorman fastener parts like that. but millions made so good luck, probably have to purchase a 10 pac.
Sorry I'm guilty, I mentioned it ; )
Have a good one

cthomps

I ended up putting the 3 1/2 good ones in the corners.  I put the screws in the two broken ones, filled the holes with epoxy, and tapped it back on.  I put a ratchet strap around it and will wait for curing time.  I think it will work.  Thanks again everyone!  I appreciate all of the help, ideas and advise.

SteveA

One last thought - the manufacturer's name tag on the chair can be helpful - maybe parts can be ordered
SA

cthomps

Steve, Thanks for the idea.  I thought of that as well.  The only identifying labeling is the "do not remove this tag."  I also tried calling the sheriffs department and asking if they remembered where the purchased them.  The person that ordered them no longer works there.