Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 10:20:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question for the upholsterers

Started by gene, February 18, 2016, 07:08:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Howdy,

OK. You give an estimate for $500.00 labor, and the cost of 10 yards of fabric. (Just picking random numbers here.)

The customer accepts the Estimate for $500.00 in labor and the cost of 10 yards of fabric.
As you work on the project, you see that you need 2 more yards of fabric.

Who pays for the additional 2 yards of fabric?

Thank you for your replies.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

If I sell the job and underestimate the yardage then I do.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

It is impressive to me how a seasoned craftsman can figure the yardage within a square foot.  I over estimate the fabric needed by 2 yards to allow for any issues that come up.  At the completion the customer gets the extra fabric -   and now has it available if a stain occurs or maybe the after thought for  throw cushions.  If I'm still short after those two yards - I'd pay for additional fabric
SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

With me, it depends on how things are worded.  If I give a formal bid, then I bite the bullet.  If I tell them that this is an estimate and I could be off a little bit, then I expect the customer to pay for the extra yardage.  I make sure that I write such down on their receipt.  I will say though that I've only been off once and that was on some awnings I replicated for a customer.  On my upholstery projects, I usually am spot on.  I usually measure twice and make some drawings that I am the only person who could interpret them but so far it seems to be working.

Virginia

kodydog

We just went through a similar situation with brass tacks. When we told the customer they were extra she had a fit. I think it's best to go ahead and eat the cost. This helps you save face and because the customer never needs to know, she maintains her confidence in you. But we stopped selling fabric years ago. If the customer brings in a COM and I run out they will need to get more. Embarrassing for sure. But I'm not making any money on the fabric.

Had a decorator call yesterday. We quoted her 26 yards for a fabric with a very large repeat. She wanted to know if 25-1/2 yards in two pieces will work. This tells me there is no more fabric if I make a mistake. Nothing like a little pressure. Today I'll tell her that won't work.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Like Steve, I seldom under estimate yardage. But in the event that it does happen, I eat the cost for additional fabric (as long as they bought the material from me). If it's COM, different story.

If I tell a COM customer to get 10 yards, and it ends up taking 12, the customer will just have to get 2 more yards on their nickel. I don't ever want to be at the customer's mercy. There always seems to be a great disparity between what a customer says they paid, and what they actually paid.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

I think my own decision needs based on how I might have wrote this up. I think at my stage should be a lot better than average because I have pretty dam good information available here at the site.
I just wished I could absorb it all with retention when i do listen : )
The mention of estimate wording and some formality is a key point for future I'm picking up on here.
Seems I have had more issues on time in all my work and in that I ate it. What I'm saying is a stated price made and so far materials or parts I have predicted but more time spent, so I struggle that direction more. I like the two different parts estimate, and bid paper trail if ya will, but is more work and will stay glued here.
What if their is no bid or estimate on paper or price, just make it with a hand shake. Maybe I'm gullible ? but if not able to do this, I would just rather move on.
Have a Good afternoon
Floyd

Darren Henry

Like Virginia, back when I had my own show , I "mapped out" my material cuts and was usually pretty dang close. It was my time appreciation that sucked and eating too much of that tanked my shop. In retrospect i should have given wider parameters in my quotes. " If they have used a trade standard number of staples in there etc... it'll be about this long----but if they did me a nasty it could be as long as this, and I may need to replace this or use extra that so the top end would be $XXX".

BTW there is a very good chart for calculating additional yardage for fabric repeats. I believe I got it from Carr's corner before their arrogance drove me off. If any body wants I can find and post again.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Corjen1

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 19, 2016, 04:22:39 pm
Like Virginia, back when I had my own show , I "mapped out" my material cuts and was usually pretty dang close. It was my time appreciation that sucked and eating too much of that tanked my shop. In retrospect i should have given wider parameters in my quotes. " If they have used a trade standard number of staples in there etc... it'll be about this long----but if they did me a nasty it could be as long as this, and I may need to replace this or use extra that so the top end would be $XXX".

BTW there is a very good chart for calculating additional yardage for fabric repeats. I believe I got it from Carr's corner before their arrogance drove me off. If any body wants I can find and post again.

Please do....!!

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

I never break down labor and material to the customer  they get a price and id buy more material

Darren Henry

Thanks Dennis. That's the one I was thinking of.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

Sharp as a tack! like always Mike, great pickup
Good day
Floyd

gene

February 20, 2016, 07:33:15 am #13 Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:37:13 am by gene
Thank you your replies.

I recently estimated a certain amount of fabric and came up short. The ID said she couldn't go back to the homeowner and ask for more money for the additional fabric and she suggested that we split the cost of the additional fabric. I had never had anyone ask me to do this before. I was totally confused. I suggested that we leave this question open for awhile so I could think about it.

It had always been my understanding that my estimate for fabric were just that, an estimate. I now realize that I was able to think this way because my estimate for fabric had never been short before. And I do not add additional fabric as a buffer. I get pretty close all the time.

Anytime additional fabric was needed it was because the other person did not give me correct information (they said the fabric did not have a repeat and it did, or they said no skirt and it had a skirt, or they said 2 seat cushions and it had three, for example), or I made a mistake in cutting the fabric and it was my fault (I've done this twice and I paid for the additional fabric.)

With IDs, they have a contract with the homeowner and they depend on your estimate to be accurate. I have found that some IDs would demand that you pay for the additional fabric, and some IDs are willing and able to work with you on maybe splitting the cost of the additional fabric.

When my customer offered to split the cost of the additional fabric, she was being kind and generous. I had no idea that she was being kind and gracious! I was wondering if maybe she was nuts.  :o

So, I'm looking at my fabric estimates differently now. I'll take each situation as it come up.

In this particular situation I told the ID that I was grateful that she offered to split the cost of the additional fabric but I would pay for the additional fabric. This had to do with the ID not being able to go back to the homeowner for more money, with me taking responsibility for my own fabric estimate, and for wanting to continue my working relationship with this ID who is a good customer and a nice person.

Thanks again for your replies. I do appreciate having a place where I can get very relevant feedback.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Good question Gene, but given the relationship you two seem have, I wouldn't hesitate to just pay it myself, It is probably just a few bucks?

My general policy is .........if it isn't my fabric, then get the store the fabric is bought from to estimate the yardage, after all - they make the profit off material.

A genuine working relationship with someone like you seemingly have, no problem, just pay for it and go!  It will come back to you time and time again.

Doyle