Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 07:40:01 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Foam Cutting Question

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, February 18, 2016, 07:06:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

I have a motorcycle seat that my customer wants me to cut new foam for, making it thicker.  I'm pretty good at cutting angled and straight cuts.  This is curved and also needs to be a beveled cut. 

Any tips/hints/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Finally some upholstery work.  I finished up a couple of chairs over the winter and have a rocker out in the garage that would have been brought downstairs except for the remodeling effort so I've been bundling up and working on it out in the garage.  BRRR!  Also have a set of dining room chairs I'm about to start stapling but there is no sewing on these.  Just cut new foam and fabric and staple.  Sooo, the motorcycle seat is nice because it is challenging but definitely need to get smarter about curves and bevel cuts.

Thanks!

Virginia

MinUph

A gental hand and an angle grinder.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Virginia I think! from some experience you should make a bill out, with it listing: take several rides to east, west coast and follow up north in Sturgis, then go chill in the south.
This will get the "operator" broken in to the ( in my experience ) perfectly new un used enough seat.
good day
Floyd

nothing I like better than
watching bikes at the drag races, uhm well except boat drags

Darren Henry

QuoteA gental hand and an angle grinder.

Whoa Paul. Do you really want her wielding an angle grinder right now? grin.

Virg, whittle away with your electric carving knife until you're close and then go to something like this;

Much more lady like and Bob can get you stopped before you ruin the counter. I couldn't help myself

PM about the other thread to follow.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

Thanks for the picture, Darrel. When Paul mentioned "a gentle hand and an angle grinder' I thought of a gentleman and a promiscuous lady out on the dance floor. Wow was I really off on that visual.  :o

gene

Yes, I'm tired from a long, but fun, day.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: gene on February 18, 2016, 07:19:26 pm
Thanks for the picture, Darrel. When Paul mentioned "a gentle hand and an angle grinder' I thought of a gentleman and a promiscuous lady out on the dance floor. Wow was I really off on that visual.  :o

gene

Yes, I'm tired from a long, but fun, day.

I must admit that I had the same thought but remember my mother once told me that I talked like a drunken sailor.  Being a smart @ss, I asked her what difference in speech there was between a drunken sailor and a sober sailor.  I was almost 22 and that didn't matter.  She reached across and gave me a good open right hand and told me to not ever back talk her again.  I never did.  ; )

Virginia

kodydog

Ah yes, 22. That age when we think we are finally old enough to talk back to our parents.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html