Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 09:42:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Remodeling Time Has Arrived

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, December 15, 2015, 10:00:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

As if we haven't had enough mayhem in our lives this year, we are starting on the Sew & Sew addition remodels end of this week.  Basically, the store room which housing the plumbing stack is being converted to a changing room for my alterations customers along with a bathroom and a soaker tub for me (YAEH) and moving the washer/dryer next to the stack to preclude the water issues we had earlier this year.

The existing laundry room will then be converted to storage for Sew & Sew.  My fabric stash will be housed there along with shelves and also real storage specifically to house all those rolls of vinyl.  So excited I can hardly wait.

However, there is a ton of emptying out to do.  A small closet in Sew & Sew where I hang dresses, etc that need to be altered had also become where I hid foam from Joe (he still loves to shred it -GRRR) and an assortment of vintage patterns I inherited from God knows where.  Just spent the last hour moving vinyl, patterns and foam so that closet is cleared out.

If plans hold together, Raymond will tear out the utility sink in the laundry room Thur or Fri and cap off the plumbing and then do the necessary cosmetic work to the walls/floor.  Then the stash can be moved into the laundry room.  Hurry up and empty the rest of it (I've made significant progress on that already) and then the floor will be jackhammered up so that the plumbing can be roughed in.  Raymond and I talked about a tile floor, heated of course.  WHO HOO that will be just fabulous.  If I keep my sanity, this is going to be sooooo cool.

Virginia

Darren Henry

I'm stoked for you. My first shop was 256 sq. ft. in what had been the choir loft of a 108 year old church, with a step running the length of it. In your husker's pics it looked like you could use more room as well. Keep us up to speed.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Yup, I'm jammed in about as far as I can be in Sew & Sew.  The organizational stuff will really help free up space and keep it from looking so small and cluttered.  The rack for the vinyl will be a huge help as I have at least a dozen rolls in the now cleared out closet or just stacked up against walls.  Shelves and drawers that I can put smaller pieces of vinyl that still have life in them will also help tremendously.

Having a real changing room is going to be fabulous!  Raymond is going to find a set-up like you see when you go to Dillards, Sears or wherever with the swing doors where you can see legs/feet and then head over the top for privacy.  In the changing area, a small bench for folding clothing with a couple of hooks (not really hooks but don't know what you call them where purses/totes and coats can be hung.  It's really going to be fabulous.

My only concern is the cost as there is a lot of plumbing.  That part is coming out of the household budget as most of the plumbing is due to relocation of the laundry room and adding a much needed second bath and regaining a bath tub.  WHO HOO.     I pay for the changing area and converting the old laundry into sew & Sew storage area.

No word from the plumber today as far as cost.  I told Raymond (contractor) that if he doesn't get numbers tomorrow to let me know and I'll rattle the dude's chain.  Otherwise, Raymond is ready to give me cost figures.

Virginia