Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 10:59:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, November 26, 2015, 04:04:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Up early as even though it is Turkey Day, I want to work a little bit on a couple of projects.  Nasty blustery wind here with rain that should be changing to freezing rain and then snow later in the day.  An inch or less of accumulation so not a big deal.  It is the wind that is awful.

Hope everyone has a great day and please take a moment to think about how fortunate we are to have roofs over our heads and food in our stomachs as well as the freedom to b*tch about what we don't like going on.

We are going over to George's (Bob's brother) house for turkey with all the trimmings.  He and his wife, Marcie, love "putting on the dog" as the saying goes and providing all the meal, except for bread which I convinced them to let us bring.  George told me that he and Marcie love to cook and putting a huge meal together for all of us makes them both very happy so over the river and through the woods to George & Marcie's we go.  Jill, Bob's sister, and our nephew Ben will be there.  Jill will hopefully be able to eat a little something.  She used part of her inheritance to have her few remaining teeth pulled and dentures made.  Her surgery was about 6 weeks ago and her mouth is still healing from the surgery and stitches.  She's lost a ton of weight as she just cannot eat many foods.

We are, of course, taking our "wild child" Joe with us so that he can run amuck with George & Marcie's 4-legged crew.  Sadly, they had to put Horton, one of their two mastiffs, down several months ago.  Much to George's dismay, the ladies decided a visit to the Humane Society was in order and they came home with "Mittens" -- you can't make up a name that horrible, a black lab/retriever puppy.  She is about 6 or 7 months old now and not quite as bit as Joe but growing like a weed.  I"m betting that despite the nasty weather they will wear themselves out running in George & Marcie's huge backyard.

What is everyone else doing today?

Virginia 

Darren Henry

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all. grin. I hope your's is as good as ours was.

QuoteWhat is everyone else doing today?

I'm caught up in my shop so am over helping rebuild an RV that a tree fell on. They have the front bedroom rebuilt and we're replacing the ceiling and the long wall on the slide out. Hopefully have it back in by tonight.

For our Thanksgiving I passed on an invite up to my sister's. Instead I made turkey dinner and had 3 of the neighbours over. I knew that none of them were seeing family or getting turkey.The weather was great and we ate in my motorhome in the driveway as it seats more than my table LOL.We had a blast and the guys all pitched in so didn't seem like any effort.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

Virginia Happy Thanksgiving to you;  and all here !

Quiet today - little catch up w/beer close by - turkey dinner - portion control hopefully -
The best years were attending the Macy's Parade - 4 kids in tow - 3 hours waiting for the first float - cold - freezing - did it about 4-5 times when they were pre-teens - and thinking back - yes we were a little crazy -

SA

gene

Happy Thanksgiving from the SW corner of Ohio.

I've come to see Thanksgiving as a day that I reflect on how I have given thanks for all that I have every day of the year.

Gratitude is the gravy of life.

I never thought of having all my teeth pulled as a way to loose weight. That seems like a lot less hassle then walking every day. But then, turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries, sweet potato casserole, and a fresh baked biscuit pureed in my blender does not sound like I would be loosing weight.  :)

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

LOL Gene.  That is just the silver lining to having dentures.  Over the years, she lost a tooth here and there and didn't have dental insurance or the $$$ to pay out of pocket.  So after we finalized our inheritences from Bob's mother, that was her first priority.  Her new teeth really look nice on her and she feels much better about herself as well.  It just takes a lot of time to be able to eat a lot of foods with them so she's been losing weight.  When Bob got his, his weight dropped from 230 to about 185.  Sadly, when he broke his leg and was in the wheelchair for 4 months, he gained that weight plus a lot more.

Walking for me is the key to keeping weight off.  Having said that, despite the snow and sleet and ice, Joe and I are going for a walk before we head over to George's for all the dog excitement and food.

Good day to all!

Virginia

Darren Henry

I'm in the same boat as Jill. Dad had been after me for years to try to come up with the coin for a set of dentures for the same reason. In the Feb. after he passed I had a sore tooth I couldn't pull so went to the dentist and decided that it was time ---Dad would have wanted me to have them. Sadly they are the worst set of dentures I have ever known of. They looked like hell and I couldn't bite through anything. I had the clown who made them try to correct them ( he refused to try a do over) and I had another denturist get them tweaked to where they are "serviceable". My issue hasn't been pain much but trying to bite through things. Apples and corn on the cob you expect, but I can't bite a piece of lettuce or bacon on a sandwich. I have to get some deli meats like corned beef and Montreal smoked meat shaved instead of the thick slices I was used to. Stuff like that. Just let her have first go at the mashed potatoes,gravy,stuffing, etc... and cut the turkey into smaller bites. I can fill my fat pants like that on my four original bottom teeth LOL.

Speaking of traditions---I've heard Y'all watch a lot of football today. In case you nodded off after the turkey our CFL championship [the Grey cup] is this Sunday in Winnipeg Manitoba at 5:00 central. That's 2 hours east of here. I'm not knocking your NFL, but this is entertaining stuff. It's an outdoor stadium at around 18 *F ( this is a warm one). We play 3 downs on a field 10 yards wider with a centre stripe between the 50 yard lines. Our end zones are deeper. And we use bigger balls. Check your TSN for a good time. Oh BTW the way the announcers explain the game and rules in great detail assuming you brought  your wife to the party for a safe ride home will fill you in.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

November 27, 2015, 05:21:57 pm #6 Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 05:22:45 pm by kodydog
Happy Thanksgiving Virginia,
sounds like you had a ball as did we.

We brought the two muts to visit my sister in Tallahassee. My 83 year old mother was there as was my sister and her hubby from NC and nephew and family from St Petersburg. We all had plenty to eat and lots of fun. When it came time to say what your thankfull for I said,

I'm thankful my mother and father were creative and they taught their children to be creative and think outside the box. It really has helped over the years. Everybody smiled and nodded but I noticed later this creative reference kept coming up in conversations. I think it made my mom feel good about herself. Cool.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html