Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 03:19:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Advice on tools for a small sofa (newby)

Started by malt, October 30, 2015, 10:07:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

malt

Hello everyone:

Newbie to upholstery and to this forum.  My wife wants to redo an small, not too fancy, 5' sofa, she has never done it before,
but we think it would be fun and if it doesn't turn perfect, it is fine with us.

Some relatives have mentioned already that probably it would be cheaper and more practical to buy a new sofa, however, we prefer
to have the fun of her doing it; we don't want to expend too much money in tools and we were wondering if the tools we looked into
would be strong enough for this light job; probably, we won't be using some of them again.

Thank you in advance.
Malt  123maltpc@mindspring.com   (Pls remove 123 to reply by email)

1 Gal compressor:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate-1-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-VNP0000101/202065070?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25H-AirCompressors%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwho2xBRD0mpzUvsya6SgSJAAkRepSBQLuBXGr7KTZDKO_4ggAeAhPqaNxQCg2xhY4QmGOyhoCVDnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 Gal compressor:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-International-3-Gal-1-3-HP-Oil-Free-Portable-Electric-Hot-Dog-Air-Compressor-AC1200/206347727

Pneumatic Stapler w/22-gauge
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Surebonder-Pneumatic-Upholstery-Stapler-with-22-Gauge-Upholstery-Staples-3-8-in-7-16-in-and-5-8-in-9615A-300-3/203477434?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-202931128-_-203477434-_-N

Brother sewing machine:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-27-Stitch-Sewing-Machine-LX2763/36269050

Brother sewing machine
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26805131?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227018269972&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40946095352&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78887633192&veh=sem

sofadoc

I didn't click on the links, but I can tell you that a 1 gallon air compressor is going to run obnoxiously loud, and it will cycle on extremely often. The 3 gallon won't be much better.

Is it possible to borrow one with a bigger tank from one of those relatives that suggested you just buy a new cheap sofa every few months? You know.......the ones that are killing this trade?

That Home Depot stapler wouldn't last long in a professional shop. But it will probably get you through 1 sofa. It is the appropriate size, just not quality built for longevity (this is usually where someone chimes in about a $20 stapler from Harbor Freight that they absolutely love).

Those sewing machines from Wally World will struggle mightily with upholstery weight fabric, especially if you intend to have welted seams. But a lot of people do muddle through on "Suzy Homemaker" type machines. Old industrial walking foot machines are like money in the bank. You can find one on Craigslist, use it once, and sell it for what you paid for it.

I understand that you're only doing this for fun. But with the wrong tools and equipment, it might not be much fun. Your relatives might be right.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Another option:

Around here, the local vo-tech school offered a couple of furniture upholstery classes.   The first one was mostly watching the instructor do and explain the work and turning us loose on things like stripping the old fabric off and discovering what's under the covers.

The second class was "bring in a piece of furniture to reupholster" and we'll each do our own project, instructor will help, and when something interesting comes up, we'll all stop and go over to Pat's project and talk about it.

Help, no need to buy tools, access to commercial equipment, and a source of common supplies.

That said, I've had a couple of 1 gal compressors that I take on site.   It does not take a lot of CFM to keep up with a stapler and with a 50' hose, you can probably stick it in the next room.   (I always wear hearing protection).
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Perfect, Its in the eye of the beholder they say, so make it safe and then just make yourselves happy.
Doing the project together even a bit would be the best tooling investment so go for it!
I have heard on here several time the mention of the electric staplers, and how useful in remote mobile repair task so this may be worth looking into or a search on here.
Some other tooling in kit form is shown above if ya get a chance take a look there, it seems priced comparable to others kits, plus here you can listen with me to all these pros on here.

Good days there
Hey its Friday and 5 I'm outa here!

MinUph

Unless you have money to burn, why buy all this stuff. A hand stapler will do for one piece. A little more squeezing but it will do the job. A pair of scissors, some chalk, a yard stick. The sewing machine is needed. Use a thin fabric and a household machine will do the trick, forget welting is would be a hard one for a first time try and it's not necessary. Get a machine you might use later for other things. Learning to sew with a machine is for some people harder than it seems.
  Maybe after you finish this project sofa doc will offer you a job. He loves to teach newbees :)
  Have fun. We all do here.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

malt

Thank you MinUph, brmax, byhammerandhand and sofadoc for your reply.

MinUph and Brmax, I didn't consider the hand stapler or the electric one because I had read that it wouldn't really work for upholstery,
but if that is not the case, we will buy one (approx. $19 / $29 in HD) and if it doesn't work, then, we will buy the one to use with the compressor.

It is going to be fun, next, we will be shopping for fabric and foam and when we finish, we'll invite our relatives to seat in it!!

Thank you again.