Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 04:16:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rolled Goods Rack

Started by brmax, October 20, 2015, 03:11:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Hey everyone, Good morning!
  I decided to use some steel to make a rolled goods rack mounted to a table, have not purchased any steel or made decision on type yet so welcome your ideas here.
I have seen some racks mounted this way and a few mounted to walls above tables and some on moveable carts.
Through searches noticed a couple shops had rolls of sew foam mounted over the table end,  all these are great for the specific shop area and task so using some of these as ideas.

So to start, deciding the length between Holders for a roll of vinyl, fabric and canvas Rolled Goods is the question.
The present table I made is based on some canvas work and that is probably a good start for me making length decisions on the pipe holding / supporting the rolled goods in rack storage.

and for now, coffee time so Good day there
Floyd

brmax

Evening all !

Late this afternoon got a call on some steel pieces I had ordered earlier, they had been rough cut for me as needed.  It is a pain now that I don't have a ladder rack on the truck, as always now the need for another one is for sure.
Anyhow about 5pm picked up some 1.5" box tubing at 11 gauge, So trimming these two main up right pieces as they are going to need a few spacers welded on.
The table edge is slight on the aft end as wanted yet needs a 1/4 spacer I believe, with this top and bottom plumbed accordingly, I can drill through these mains at the table frame areas to attach.

Well that was the easy part, 1st hard part was cleaning the steel of all the stuff that's on new steel oh so happa.  Something I recall wanting to mention and ask about, I had several conduit down runs at 80" from a build, and there 3/4 emt pieces that I have been using for canvas rolls and seem to work ok.  I wanted to mention that and also mention I need to price check this week a 20' stick for making 3 pieces, This product could be worth considering if there is a need, but really appreciate to hear some other tips.

This week possibly I can brainstorm some methods to easily hold the pipe ends in position on these main up rights, now nothing that requires much work like grinding and crap. The thought occurred for movable holders but possibly a stationary welded part? who knows.

Catch ya later you all

Mojo

Floyd:

Once we get a new shop built that is one of the first things the ladies are asking for - a roll goods cart. We have a desperate need for this as we buy large quantities of rolled goods. Our last order from Sattler was 4 full rolls alone plus the rest of our inventory. That was just one order as we burn through a 100 yards or more per month.

The design I have in mind is a triangular shaped stand on casters. We have found that having everything on casters provides us alot of flexibility. Our machines are on casters so we can move machines into table slots and out as needed. I want the same thing with our rolled goods cart.

The cart will be triangular shaped with rods on both sides to hold each roll. I can spin the cart as needed depending on the roll I need. The spacing will be 72 inches between the framework on each side allowing room for each side to put your hand on the roller bar in the event you need to remove it without pinching your hand on the frame. This much space will accommodate 48 - 60 inch rolls. Only once in my career did I ever handle an 80 inch piece of fabric. I have not figured out a height yet but it cannot be too tall as rolled acrylic weighs 50 lbs and a full roll of our Migliore vinyl weighs 110 lbs.

All of our small cut yardage will still be stored in our vertical bins which are also on casters. I would rather lose 60 inch of vertical space versus 60 inches of horizontal space. These wooden bins work out excellent for storing small cuts of fabric on tubes.

We will have a dedicated table for cutting in our new shop so the rack can be rolled up to the table. The ladies worked out the floor plan already and now I need to get my act together to get this shop built. I am still wavering back and forth between buying already built commercial space or building new. I also need to unload two of our properties we own as I do not want a large mortgage payment hanging over my head. Hopefully within a year the two properties will be sold and we can get a new shop. We are out of space in our current shop and busting at the seams. We are so over crowded I have had to put expansion of our business into new product lines on hold.

I would love to be able to weld the rolled goods stand but the last time I welded was 30 years ago and even then I was not very good at it. Alot has changed since stick welding. I will have to take the drawings to a local fabricator and have him make it I guess. Be sure and take alot of pictures. :)

Best of luck Floyd with your new creation.

Chris

Mike

October 22, 2015, 04:51:21 pm #3 Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:52:27 pm by Mike
i couldn't roll a maching out from the table with my room size i don't have the room to the side that far.  now many ladies and workers are working for you chris?  are you still planning to built a large shop on youe property?  i assume the county allows it

brmax

That sounds like a great shop plan, I don't see any ultra super cool imogie for that, as I'm finger galloping with one hand and in the thinker pose with other like lookin at the Hot Boats in Miami, NYC Buildings & Lights or the West coast Hot Rods.
Rock On with that.
To the bar ; )
  That's a good idea on bar but I can't reach across 72" around yardage anywho, but I'm still growing.
I will admit that was my plan and cut short(d) so running shy at 69.5" between, I figured if a roll starts climbing one way to much I will just use a empty big spool on the bar of 3/4 conduit between the frame.
I wouldn't worry about stick welding if you still have yours, on new steel with a 3/32-7018dc or the ac rod you as i can run easily with the best trust me.
But now thinking in agreement as we cannot always do everything and better business decision's sometime is tasking out.
The cart idea is just to good to pass if the room is there, I recall bobbin mentioning building between on one using laun board as shelving, thought that was cool! and it stuck so using that center area is beneficial for sure. 
Its not real relevant but sometimes pushing things around a shop is sweeeeeet, btdt with 2 180' shops one 40 deep one a sweet 50, wup moving on.
Another shop I took a good look at had several of the carts one side angle other straight up, here they made use for some binding but mostly other small roll items this was handy for things you could trim off a bit.
Thanks for the great input there, always good to hear.
Good day there
Floyd

Mojo

MIke:

There in lies the problem. I am in an agricultural zone so any building would have to be for machinery. I guess sewing machines and tractors are both machinery.....lol.:) We do no walk in service and our customers have no clue where we are located except we are in Brooksville. Everything we do is shipped out and most of that is out of state.

But I do not want to run afoul of the county which is why I am considering commercial space in a commercial zone.

Chris

Darren Henry

Chris,

I don't know how things work down there, but could you not apply to the county for a zoning variance? They are pretty common up here. Small corner store (C1) in a residential neighbourhood (R1) or a duplex (R2) in the same neighbourhood etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

I agree Darren, they sometimes are very good to work with. In an Agriculture setting several possibilities could be present like ( yep get to start making noise before 7 uh huh ) I'm laughing but totally serious, though Chris might need 80 acres for full farm considerations.
Now I'm curious, also being in a rural area and yet have been on the borders of annexation and luckily voted down, this is getting tough because they organize the votes sometimes with other issues this includes other area residents ability to vote your area ( that's #%@* ^^).
Some areas though rural require a measured distance from building center, or edge of property to adjacent resident. This can be understood in situations I know these have been in place way before internet selling on thee ol couch was even dreamed up.
Interesting conversations for sure

Well I finished working up the canvas rack for mounting to the long table and seems to work as designed Woohoo! so early tomorrow I am removing it from the table and giving it a coat of primer. 

Tip: Anti-spatter spray (welding) never used much in my career, 1st can purchase after retire and spraying inside the box tubing worked excellent, this was for the small rod holders I welded on the main upright, the plate on the bottom of each I welded inside. Just thought i'd mention it ::)
I cleaned residue with lacquer prior to tomorrows paint coat.

Good day to you all
Floyd

brmax

October 28, 2015, 06:25:15 am #8 Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:07:52 am by brmax
I was able to get a couple coats of paint on the rack and so mounted it back at the table here bright n early.
Anyway Its another small step done with some good ideas and help.

Thanks everybody
Good Day there
Floyd

http://www.wheelhousecanvas.com/Shop-Works

Mojo

That came out great Floyd. Awesome job. :)

Chris

brmax

Chris  thanks, always say its the good help here I get that make it much better from tried and true experience.  The lights are getting brighter! and some I'm planning to get ; )
Appreciate it
Floyd