Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 03:20:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Moving Forward

Started by kodydog, October 14, 2015, 07:25:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

October 14, 2015, 07:25:48 pm Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:28:22 pm by kodydog
The in-house decorator where I use to work PM'd me on facebook. She wanted to know if I would be willing to come back to work for them.

The neat thing is I can go back to the posts on this site and read the 4 month ordeal that led to me quitting and all the great advice I got from y'all.
http://www.upholster.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=12879.0

The last post in particular caught my attention.

May 19, 2014, 01:22:38 PM
"Moving forward we're still planning on moving back into town. We need to decide on Gainesville or St Augestine. We have a lot of customers in Gainesville and Lake City and we own a house in High Springs. About half way between the two. But the wife has her heart set on St Augustine. It is a pretty neat place. But first we have to sell our house in the sticks."

Friday we will close on our house in the sticks. We will move to our house in High Springs and I will work out of the garage until we can find commercial property to move our shop into. Wish me luck, I'll need it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

A faith vision - good planning - can't miss.  Experience you have - workspace will develop as you MOVE FORWARD    No worries at this point.
  You have a positive outlook and only good things are ahead.  How big is the garage ?  Will you have a separate shed for material storage ?

Regards,
SA

Mojo

I wish you the very best Ed. I know you will land on your feet. You always do. :)

Chris

Mike

Good luck. And smooth  transition. 

Virgs Sew n Sew

Good luck is certainly being sent your way.  You have an abundance of talent and I'm sure you will be busier than a one-armed wall paperer (or something like that).  Will be interested in seeing pics of your new digs when you get settled in.

Virginia

sofadoc

Leopards rarely change their spots. I doubt your old boss has any intentions of changing his business practices that led to your decision to leave to begin with.

He probably had his in-house decorator "feel you out" to see if possibly you have failed on your own, and are ready to come crawling back.

If you were to go back, things wouldn't be like they were before........they'd be WORSE.

Still.........it might be fun to see what he offers.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

When they come to you it puts you in a good position to negotiate. If you'd be interested.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

October 15, 2015, 01:40:16 pm #7 Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:39:03 pm by kodydog
Yes Paul, they would just about give me anything I wanted. I'm just not interested. It took a lot of hard work to get my business built back up.

They have been through 3 upholsterers since I left 1-1/2 years ago. That makes 5 total in 4 years. You would think they would sit down and try to figure out why they can't keep help.

What I don't understand is if they want me to come back why didn't the boss grow a pair and call me himself. Last March the boss called my wife where she works at the Fl. Dept. of Revenue. He needed my address to send my W-2. (He has my address and my phone number). Rose asked if he was mad at her. He said no I'm mad at Ed.

The in-house decorator is named Linda. Rose and I became friends with her and her husband and we get together a couple times a year.

Here is what Linda wrote.
Would you consider coming back to Coronet to work part time or full time? Just wondering because they really need someone else.

My first response was pretty long and explained all the reasons why I wasn't interested. I wrote it mostly for myself to remind me why I left. I saved it to Word and sat on it a couple of days.

I decided not to burn any bridges and wrote this.
Thanks for asking but I really enjoy working for myself. We're super busy and have gained some really good customers since we cranked up our on-line presence. Herb would have to make me a deal I couldn't refuse and I don't see that happening. As mad as they were when I left. We really enjoy our outings with you and Tom. We'll both be living in High Springs very soon. Lets get together.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on October 15, 2015, 01:40:16 pm
Here is what Linda wrote.
Would you consider coming back to Coronet to work part time or full time? Just wondering because they really need someone else.
Kinda sounds like Linda may have taken it on herself to try and broker a truce. If you had been receptive to the idea, then she would've went to work on your old boss. She may be trying to "play" both of you.

The only arrangement that makes any sense in my mind, would be for them to sub work out to you. Just not sure if there would be a dollar amount that would be agreeable.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

My advice......... Stick to your guns and forge ahead. If your going to bust you ass for someone then do it for yourself, not someone else.

This is the reason many of us are in business.

Chris

gene

Best of luck Ed.

Penn Jillette, of the Penn and Teller fame, says "Luck is chance personified."

I think we increase our chances by hard work and detailed planning. Sounds like you are on the right track for you and the misses.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!