Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 01:27:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Replacing Rubber Webbing

Started by kodydog, August 18, 2015, 06:40:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

August 18, 2015, 06:40:15 am Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:42:30 am by kodydog
Rose says we have done repairs like this before but I sure don't remember. The homeowner wants to replace all the sagging straps. There are 3 pieces, all metal frames. Not sure if they will be outdoors when finished but will find out. Wouldn't it be easier and better to just screw plywood to the bottom?

Sorry about the bad photo.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

It looks like it has a lip around it so you could cut plywood that would fit inside the lip. Wouldn't even have to screw it down if you didn't want to.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Plywood outdoors ????  Maybe on a sun porch ??

SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on August 18, 2015, 10:14:57 am
Plywood outdoors ????  Maybe on a sun porch ??

SA
Can't speak for Florida, But in Texas, a covered porch is the ONLY way to go. So plywood seats are pretty common.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

I'm curious on how the base cushion was made while using that rubber strapping as a spring of sorts,  if decided theres some marine and also mdo type plywood available, a lot of wood highway signage is still made with a quality mdo. I just use standard mdo for my table top and b/c sheating for lower shelf, also in concrete construction theres  some super mdo types we used in concrete forms but the std price is scary enough.
I bet they got a wallop when one of those straps broke  :o

Darren Henry

I don't know how hard it is to find or afford that Perrelli webbing down your way; If I do find it up here it's crazy expensive and I've never seen the clips with the hook on the end.

on the other hand I wouldn't want to go to just a hard plywood bottom after being used to the original if I was the end user.

I would suggest making a plywood (or better yet PVC) board that set into the frame as Dennis mentioned---but I'd cut the centre out and string it with furni-web. I'd probably leave about 4" all around the "board". Depending on material/style of the cushions , you may want to cover the "board" with vinyl ? or something ? before you screw them in. That way you can hide your staples on the sides for a nice clean look.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Thanks everyone this gives me some ideas I haven't thought of.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html