Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 01:28:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Old singer

Started by MinUph, August 13, 2015, 06:48:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Anyone ever heard of a Singer Model 1688? It was patented in 1890s
It was used by an Upholsterer in the 1930s and beyond.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

This guy might know something. I happened to have his web site bookmarked just out of interest. He may be near you in Florida.

http://theoldsewingmachineman.com/

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

I have used a Singer 16-88, very strong and built like a brick.  It was used primarily for canvas, auto upholstery - anything medium to heavy weight.  It is a walking foot but not a compound walking foot.  

It probably is still used by some doing small scale cotton canvas repair, leather work, or old style auto work.  

I believe it was developed a little before 1930, don't know what source you are reading.

It is very similar to the Singer 16-188 machine which some of us (perhaps Dennis) have used, but built just a bit stronger.    

Both, the 16-88 and 16-188 were the state of the art for upholsters, especially for heavier work, but things got better, equipment came along that took some of the skill out of the sewing requirement which was/is the compound walking foot, which we appreciate today.

Yep, sewing in many respects in the older days required more skill by the operator, more than the compound walkers do today in keeping plies feeding at the same rate, etc.

Back to 16-88: a upholstery shop that included furniture work back in its day would likely be equipped with the Singer 31-15 because it was preferred for normal furniture weight cloth fabrics.  That machine can be very handy for drapery work also.  I would prefer it over the heavier Singers, the focus of this discussion.  

One can have too much machine for thinner work and the 31-15 was and still can be a favorite today for some of the lighter cloth work.  There was a time when furniture upholsters had one machine, the Singer 31-15.  Great machine for cloth.  The walking foot is preferred for vinyls and leathers over this machine, one can say the same for the compound walking technology - which is the preferred today for most of our work.

The industrial and home sewing equipment today, newer stuff just blows my mind with its capability when interfaced with the computer technology.  Anyone into state of the art embroidery capabilities know what I am hinting about.  They have it all. cameras and on and on with that digital computer stuff.  I saw a new state of the art Baby Loc (list price around $14K) and what it could do for quilters.  It has a stipple computer assisted capability for quilters that just blows my mind.  My head hurts when thinking of the programming that went into this capability.  Quilters appreciate this, their products come out without a thought of done by "home made" techniques.

Like to quilt, like the ultimate results, might be worth the $14K or whatever it takes.  The show isn't over, Baby Loc continues to wow! - the sewers with newer better dynamic automatec sewing capabilities.

Enough!

What is the story about the Singer 16-88 Paul?  I bet it is interesting.

Doyle

MinUph

Thanks Doyle,
  Interesting information. I think I will give it a shot and have an extra machine around. The leg set is cast iron, big table that looks home made.

The story... I was working away yesterday and got a call from a local guy asking if I was interested in this machine. it was his fathers who was an upholsterer and had since passed away. The machine was in this guys garage and he wanted it to be put to use. The price was right so we went an picked it up. It runs, feels solid and tight. The table assemble is kinda wild. The foot pedal is set way back and disconnected so that will have to be modified' I will take some pictures today and post them over the weekend. From looking at the head there is no reverse but I can work around that. It is good to have extra machines.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Reverse .......no that didn't come along on industrials until after WWII, Pfaff with the 145 came along and set that standard.  The old timers didn't grow up with reverse or knee lifts (a lot didn't) but they so good at using the pressure release they didn't feel it was essential.  My first two or three machines didn't have reverse and growing up that way there are times (often to be honest) when I will lift and move the material to make a tie.  Actually, it is smart to do that because it reduces the needle hole count.  Any who, time marches on and keeps marching. 

Tables for the old machines like you reflect were mostly custom made.  Those were the days before a key board was put on everything and craftsmen knew how to execute the process of building a table around a machine.  It reduced shipping cost, besides there was no UPS around and our culture nutured the development of capable wood workers that were excellent for the table building task.

To my knowledge there are no parts constraints on that machine, one thing for sure there are fewer working parts.  Get the machine, if you stay in business it will be an asset. 

The feet, again may not be a problem, can't remember if the 16-188 feet were interchangeable, very possibly are.  If so, would you believe I have, yes a foot that is still new that fit my 16-188.

Looking forward to the pictures and if possible, gather as much history on the machine from the son of the original user.  Singer might have the owners manual still, at least on the computer that could be printed out.

I failed to mention that the machine was also used to bind auto carpet and sew on heel plates (well, not all bad - did mention it was used for older auto interior work).

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  I have some pictures of the machine I will post over the week end. I was wandering if you might know what size bobbin it takes? I haven't been able to find much in the way of information on this model. The bobin os pretty small. I thought it might be the same as a home singer I have but it isnt as thick. Diameter is the same but not as thick. I have one prewound that cam in the machine it has a A on it. Not sure if this is the size or not.
  Thanks
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Paul,
You will have no problem getting part for tht machine.  If I were you, give Bob Kovar a call, he can fix you up with any part, tension spring, take up spring, needles, and tell you more about that machine for he has customers still using the machine.  The macihine was used by the U.S.Army to make canvas needs and sails, possibly parachutes. 

The bobbin case can still be obtained, and threads suggested. 

Chris, the next time you talk to Bob Kovar, it would be interesting what you can learn about this machine (Mojo).  Bob's company is highly recommended. 

I suspect a lot of parts for the 16-88 are shared with the 16-188.

I read somewhere recently that there are users of the 16-88 love the machine for canvas work, not expensive to buy and do it yourself people love the machine. 

Oh, also ask Bob Kovar about a manual - soft copy or hard copy.

Doyle

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

August 23, 2015, 07:27:04 am #8 Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:30:00 am by sofadoc
We had several different old Singers when I was a kid. I remember years later when I was going through my Grandmother's stuff that she had tons of size A bobbins.

As I seem to recall, the A bobbins would work in any machine that normally used a G, but the G was too big for the machines that used an A.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Theres been some work put under that needle bar, a nice find.
I seen some parts on sharp sewing site under 16 series, probably could give them a shout also.
I first called Bob on my 212 and what a wealth of information he gave for not knowing him, I did pick some up items. 
Good day