Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 01:23:57 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machine Table Edging

Started by brmax, August 10, 2015, 12:41:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brmax

Is there a place I can obtain 12' of the typical industrial sew machine table "edging"one of mine is kaput.
I believe they are using polyurethane ? so my table dimension is 1.5" thick with the moulding/edging having a T shape where it pushes in a slot cut in the wood, I have seen some pictures of different types.
The T-moulding in my case today on this machine table is white but color is not an issue, the T is an offset, 9/16" OC from one edge and measuring roughly 5/16" long with a .135"dimension for the grabbing in the slot. I have made contact with some of our pro vendors here and its not good news as most is made somewhere else, but I am on a call back if some is located.
On a side note I have found my table tops though a standard are in fact all different on the short side and I don't think anyone cares about the long 4' side, but ductape for a gap is not in my want to do list.
Just checking with you all on some tips, thank you

Darren Henry

We use a similar edging in RV's, but it is usually only 3/4 or an inch. Have you checked with places like Home Depot? Or some one who does cabinet/furniture making in your area? Lee Valley might be worth a shot too. They have got some wild and wonderful stuff.That's where I get the pocket clips for my pencils for example.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

Thanks Darren, I just made a couple calls and glanced at menards because it came up in search so far.
The quantity was a bummer at the box store because I really didn't want 150', product they showed had a 1.75" width but close enough to work with?
I will keep an eye out and look around some other places.

http://www.menards.com/main/mouldings/countertop-t-mouldings/1-3-4-wide-black-pvc-t-moulding-150-ft-roll/p-1505471-c-7608.htm?tid=7402246398761922462

gene

Do you have to use T molding? Can you get away with regular wood veneer edge banding?

At 1.5" thick, how about using two strips of 3/4" to make up the 1.5"? You'd need 24'.

You can trim the top/bottom edge with a router bit.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

They make 2" iron on veneer in wood.  I'm aasuming you can also find it in plastic (melamine?).

"Vertical grade" HPDL (Formica) you can also glue on with contact cement.

If all else fails, you can glue on a strip of 1/16" to  1/8" or so hardwood.   Tape, either packing tape or strong masking tape will hold i place until you can get a clamping caul on.  If you need to bend corners, stick in boiling water for 10 minutes where you need to make the bend and be selective in your wood that you don't have grain run-out.  I make Shaker bent oval boxes down to size #0 this way.   When the glue is dry, trim edges flush and round over with sandpaper.  Wipe on some varnish.  (I apologize, but I tend to think in "wood" )
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Some good ideas for sure, I might have to use another material and Veneer types are a good option that could be built up and trimmed or routed, excellent!.
Thanks Gene
Apology accepted Keith only in fun because I could watch ya build all day and enjoy it  thanks guys
As I am working on the other table buildup this issue came up in force,  I was making a cutout for the machine table. So while wanting to trim down one table 3/8" on the short side making all of them the same and I also wanted the corners to be the same and none were? my luck. Now just to get some work done none of this matters much, but with the need or want to change machines in the new slot/station well here is the opportunity to get'm in step.
One of the tops has cracks every foot in its edging yet its holding in the wood by luck I guess, as that part of the T shape is fine, I very carefully removed and reinstalled for the slim trimmings.
At this time working on the other stuff I'm going to hold out a bit on this material change and will keep the recommendations handy.
Thanks for the tips

Good Day there

Darren Henry

QuoteThe quantity was a bummer at the box store because I really didn't want 150',

Where you actually in the box store? Or going by their website? I can see their e-shipping department not wanting to sell cuts of rope or chain either, but if they have a roll on the rack in their physical store you'd be able to buy cuts I would think the same as rope and chain etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

No I just looked at the e-site, sorry wasn't clear. Probably stopping in there today though as I will need some sand paper for smoothing the surface a bit,  I'm just now stirring and ready to put on the bottom surface coat in shop.
I plan to stay outa there for a good while, the cover stain primer I like the build but wreaks so an excuse to go shelf looking at the store or two.
I will post up on any finds there, Good Day