Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:52:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Zig - Zag spring supplies

Started by baileyuph, July 18, 2015, 08:00:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Sometime back, in discussion the HR-24 stake wire clip was discussed as well as the
12 ga. insulated stake wire, plus the Hartman installation tool to install the clip.  I think I got most or some of that right.  LOL.

My question now is, has anyone found a supplier for the zig zag spring material used in
furniture today?

My stock is the zig zag of old days, smaller in scale.

When the newer springs have broken, the manufacturer of the piece has been the source (which in this case the spring came sized to original specs. 

Anyone familiar with a spring source that the shop can cut to size?

Got two customers needing broken springs replaced.

What you guys doing for spring materials?

Doyle

MinUph

Replace all the ziggers with new.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on July 19, 2015, 03:01:11 am
Replace all the ziggers with new.

The springs that Doyle is talking about are the softer, lighter gauge ones with the wider bend radius than traditional No-sag brand 8 gauge springs.

In many cases, the cheap, soft wood frame wouldn't even support a better quality spring unless you added a more substantial front and back rail. Replacing all the springs and adding wood to support them usually throws the repair job out of budget. It isn't practical to try to "Make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

The only source I have for the light gauge, wide bend springs........is robbing them from an old junker. But I seldom encounter any cases where they are actually broken. 99% of the time, they have just come un-mounted. Thanks to a cheap frame, the cheap springs never get the chance to fail.

I don't worry too much if I have to replace just 1 or 2 springs that will be noticeably firmer than the surrounding ones. After all.......it's a cheap couch to begin with.

With cheap repair jobs, I do whatever is necessary and don't worry about trying to match the original design. Even my cheapest repair is still going to leave the customer better off than when they came in. I don't recall ever having one of my repair jobs come back for re-work. But I suspect that in many cases the rest of the couch fell apart, and the customer opted to buy another one.

I know that many shops would refuse this type of work. Send 'em to me. If the furniture stores are going to flood the market with cheap crap, I might as well make my fair share off of it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Guys heres some information I seen this morning, there was a guy working over his  57 chevy and noticed took a wider z or sine wave type per foot than the 60 something mustang of his. 
I took a look above for information and would have to contact them for more, while looking around though I did notice Perfect fit had their listing and probably a standard as here above I guess, didn't show anything on rochford site, though you all have probably already looked.
Anyway Perfect fit shows
9 gauge firm had 7 loops per foot
And soft 11 gauge has 15 loops per 2' feet
I suspect some who frequent the automotive sites could see some changes in design also maybe they would post up on any stock somewhere, other than buying a spring kit assembly if an where ever.
Good Day