Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 09:28:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Traveling tool box

Started by byhammerandhand, May 20, 2015, 09:09:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

Here's an interesting box http://lumberjocks.com/projects/154370   Obviously meant for some minor woodworking stuff.

Got me thinking: What's in your on-site box.

I have a large open top tool tote (Husky brand) with pockets inside and outside.   Here's what I carry in it for all sorts of on-site repair, and yes, it all fits in an 18" tool box:
- 10 oz claw hammer
- 4-in-1 rasp
- Painter's pry bar
- Nail puller / pry bar
- Magnetic and spring loaded pick up tools
- Water pump pliers (Channellock)
- Pliers-type nail/stapler puller (Extractor)
- Small pliers
- Needle nose pliers
- Couple of types of stapler pullers
- 35 piece Gearwrench Microdriver (metric & SAE sockets, Torx, Allen & Screwdriver bits)
- Pic-quik multi-tip screwdriver
- Long shank slotted screwdriver
- Flashlight, tripod
- Headset flashlight
- Tape measure
- Sets of open-end, ratcheting box wrenches in metric and imperial
- Adjustable wrench when I need second of same size
- 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1" wood chisels and gouge
- Shims, toothpicks, small dowels
- 3-in-1 Oil
- Screw lube / drawer lube
- Heavy duty shears
- Fabric scissors
- Awl
- Try Square, combo square, pencils, Sharpie
- Utility knife
- Nail sets and center punch
- Spring puller
- Vise Grips
- Forceps, straight & hooked
- Small bottle of glue
- Bottle of hand cleaner
- Sandpaper
- Cable ties
- Pull saw, carpenter's
- Hacksaw
- Several F-clamps and Quick-Clamps
- Mechanic's gloves
- Hearing protectors
- Paint can opener
- Electric adapter, 3 prong to 2 prong for the older parts of town
- 2 Boxes of misc hardware (screws, threaded connectors, drawer glides, bolts, nuts, washers, nail on feet, Thread lock, graphite lock lube, cold chisel)
- T-50 stapler when I don't want to pull out the compressor

In the van are a couple drawers/boxes of pneumatic fastening tools, and specialized hardware and furniture parts for beds, drawers, doors, recliners, webbing, springs, frame, electrical, and assortments of fasteners.

I have a "drill kit" that includes:
- 3/8" cordless drill with backup battery
- Assortment of twist bits
- Assortment of countersink bits
- Assortment of Phillips and Robertson driver bits
- Hinge bit ("Vix bit")
- Kreg pocket hold jig, 1 & 2 hole versions, driver
- Assortment of #8 screws
- 1.25" and 1.5" pocket hole screws
- Nut driver bits

and a fabric kit:
- Scissors
- Iron-on patches
- Button thread and button needles
- Needles, curved,  for fabric & leather seams, pins
- Spring repair clips
- Fabric Glue
- Decorative nail assortment
- Assortment of spools of thread for hand sewing
'- Assortment of colors of fabric repair fibers and glue
- Awl

I won't get into my wood touch up kit nor upholstery cleaning supplies.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on May 20, 2015, 09:09:46 am
Got me thinking: What's in your on-site box?
I keep my on-site tool tote to a minimum. I decided a long time ago that if a job needed more stuff than I could carry in a small tote, I'd rather just haul the piece to the shop. I only take stuff for quick repairs.

Staple lifter & tack hammer
hand stapler
scissors
tufting needle and clips, button twine
curve needle/thread
hot glue gun/sticks
assorted bits for my cordless screwdriver (which I carry separately on an "as needed" basis)
assorted screwdrivers and pliers

If I need more than that, then I really don't want to work on it on-site anyway.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

May 20, 2015, 02:55:03 pm #2 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:08:28 pm by kodydog
Wow! that's quite a list, Hammer.

I have two tool boxes. A soft sided one filled with mechanics tools. This one stays in the van. Every tool I might need for an emergency roadside repair.

The other box sits on my work bench and has all my everyday upholstery tools in it so I can grab it and go. When I need to go to a remote repair I walk through the steps in my imagination and grab the tools I'll need to get the job done.

And this reminds me, last winter I replaced the outside back on a brand new sectional. The customer had the fabric and when I pulled it out of the bag it had a big crease down the middle. It could not be pulled out. This repair was over an hours drive and I did not want to have to make a second trip. Fortunately the customer had a little hand held steamer that took the crease right out. Add that to your list.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

I do have a steam iron in one of the drawers.  I use it most often for applying heat to accelerate stain removal, occasionally for iron-on patching.   I do have an upholstery steamer that I pack when I have the need to do that.  About once a year.  I also have a spray bottle of wrinkle remover.

Quote from: kodydog on May 20, 2015, 02:55:03 pm
And this reminds me, last winter I replaced the outside back on a brand new sectional. The customer had the fabric and when I pulled it out of the bag it had a big crease down the middle. It could not be pulled out. This repair was over an hours drive and I did not want to have to make a second trip. Fortunately the customer had a little hand held steamer that took the crease right out. Add that to your list.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison