Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 08:23:14 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Slip cover question.

Started by kodydog, March 19, 2015, 06:20:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

March 19, 2015, 06:20:24 am Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:24:51 am by kodydog
Over the years Rose and I have considered taking slipcover jobs. But we always talk ourselves out of it.

Yesterday a fellow called and wants vinyl covers made for his wicker furniture on his patio. I suggested Wal Mart. I told him they have premade covers for this very purpose. Its not vinyl but a synthetic outdoor fabric for about $20 each. He calls back later and says he wants something more fitted, something custom made. He wants it to look nice and doesn't mind paying for it. More like a slipcover but it would fit over the top of the cushions, the cushions would not have to be covered.

I don't do slipcovers but am willing to try. My concern is, the only way I can give a yardage and labor estimate is by going to his house. When I give him the price is he going to bulk. Will this be a big waste of my time? He has 3 pieces and I'm thinking at least $100 each just for labor. The other concern is, what will a vinyl slip cover look like. Sloppy?

Am I biting off more than I can chew?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

March 19, 2015, 06:28:49 am #1 Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:29:18 am by gene
Can you post pictures of the 3 items?

I don't know what the homeowner has in his mind so it's difficult to say whether or not it's going to be 'sloppy' to him.

Does the wicker furniture have arms? If yes, are you going to make a cover that goes across the arms, allowing rain to collect on this and cause it to sag down? Or are you going to make a more custom fit slip cover that includes the shape of the arms?

Is this going to be like a big tarp that lays over everything or more like a slipcover that is shaped to fit over everything in the same shape as the furniture?

How much mold will grow under the slipcover as it sits outside in the hot Florida sun?

This could be a good first project for you to practice on.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

March 19, 2015, 06:38:30 am #2 Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:45:21 am by kodydog
They sit under a covered patio. He wants them mostly to keep dirt off the upholstery.

I hadn't thought of the mold issue and that's a good point.

He wants a more fitted cover that takes the shape of the arms. If it was just a big box like shape it would be no problem.

I don't know what his expectations are. Will a winkle here and there bother him? Good question, I need to ask.

Maybe I can talk him into Sunbrella.

sofadoc

My guess is that the guy wants a custom-fit at a "close-to-Wally World" price.

Even if you do a tight-fitting job that doesn't look sloppy, I can't imagine it NOT becoming sloppy looking after the customer has sat down and got up out of them several times.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

March 19, 2015, 06:50:21 am #4 Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:55:51 am by kodydog
Just got off the phone with Rose. Her prices are a lot higher than mine. Shes looking at more like $300 per piece range. Shes going to work up a ballpark estimate and try to talk him into a fabric that is more breathable and easier to work with.

I'll see if he can send some pictures.

MinUph

My guess here is a waist of time or worse yet a dissatisfied customer. With no reflection on you. Slip covers, to me a sinful LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

This guy sounds too fussy and I hate wicker anyway - not that it matters.  I would tell him to bring in one chair with a deposit.  Further I'd make him understand there is no prior cover to go by so he has to leave it to you - no returns - cash and carry -
SA

otlass

Do me it sounds like he wants a cover for when he is not using the furniture.

baileyuph

Same here, a protection cover for the furniture when it is not in use.

I doubt it gets moisture, he only mentioned dirt.  There are nice pliable dust cover mateials with a soft backing (it adds a little pad to the issue) that will keep the dirt off and the cover itself can be cleaned.  I use it for stuff like that and have even used it as a dust cover for collector cars stored inside.  They worked well, don' see why it wouldn't work ok for the wicker.

The guy sounds reasonable, probably be easy to work with.

Fitting, just don't make it too tight.  zippers probably not required.

Doyle 

brmax

If me, I probably better use some kind of base figure on the phone. I consider the same as Paul mentioned, an unhappy customer. But some how I want to give them the benefit as the well knowing they called the person to help them professionally. I might ask them-
So ? Do you ever plan to sit on it "as in the card games and used protecting it actually".
So ? In the covering I might think on some vents if your not using these frequently??
Curious on your outcome and plan
Good day

kodydog

March 22, 2015, 07:29:19 pm #10 Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:32:23 pm by kodydog
So, Rose set up the appointment. Yesterday on the way there I ask her what was the ballpark figure. She says I haven't really given one yet. Ooooh Kaaay. So now I'm thinking about what Paul said, "waist of time". So we turn down the dirt road and pass some not so nice houses and I'm getting more of a bad feeling as we go.

We turn down their driveway and things began to look brighter. They have a nice house with a huge covered outdoor play area. It must be 40' X 40'. We never steped foot inside the house as these wicker pieces sit on a platform in the middle of this outdoor area. They are the nicest people.

The first thing we did was to talk them out of vinyl and cited moisture, mold and mildew issues. And they agreed. The wife thought Sunbrella was a good idea and got out her note book and she and Rose started surfing for fabric. While they were doing that the husband took me aside and showed me some of his toys. Including his Honda three wheeler motorcycle and a small bore cannon.

Rose and I measured the sofa and two chairs. Squarish in shape with seat cushions, back cushions and arm cushions. All the cushions will get covered by this slipcover that fits around the arms and they do plan on sitting on it. We suggested just covering all the cushions, leaving the old fabric on and that way whenever they wanted a change just take the covers off. They said too much trouble and I had to agree.

The wife found a fabric that would work, Rose gave them the labor and fabric estimate and they're ready to do it. Cool. We told them we could pick it up in two weeks.  

I'll keep you all posted and am sure I will have questions as we attempt our first slip cover.

baileyuph

Kody,

So you will making slip covers for wicker.  Interesting, keep us posted on this, never saw a wicker slip covered.  Does this actually require covering the wicker with fabric or is the process restricted to cushions on a wicker?

You are in for an education, perhaps?
Doyle

kodydog

It'll be an education for sure. Their house is surrounded by 40 acres of planted pine. Huge cash crop here in North Florida. In the spring these trees pollinate. Putting a thin coat of yellow dust over everything. They want something to protect the furniture but something they can sit on occasionally.

They want something that is easy to remove and replace. The cushions do not get a separate cover. The slipcover will fit on top of the cushion. I'm thinking it will need to fit around the cushions. To give it a little slack when people are sitting on it, so the seams don't rip out. It will need to take the shape of the cushions. To fit down behind the cushion and down each side of the cushions. The cushions will hold it in place. Not sure if this makes any sense.

Rose charged a good price for the job so we can take our time.

The customer ordered her fabric today so we put her on the schedule. She decided on an acrylic outdoor fabric.

kodydog

Its been a while but we finally finished this job. I wouldn't call it a slip cover because the cushions were not covered like in a traditional slip cover. Its more of a fitted dust cover. It fits over the wicker frame and cushions. And it creates an uneven surface to work with. For instance in the 1st photo you can see how the seat cushion on the sofa sits back from the seat edge. It was a real head scratcher how to join the seat, inside arm and arm panel.

This furniture sits outside and under a large covered area. They wanted a cover mostly to keep it clean. I suggested Walmart who sells patio furniture covers for around $20 but they wanted something that was more of a custom fit that they could sit on occasionally. They also wanted a cover that was easy to remove and replace. I was unhappy with the seat. It had nothing to hold it in place and every time I sat on it it would wrinkle. So I sewed ties in each corner. I pulled them through and tied them to the wicker. This helped to pull everything a little tighter. This is the best I could do. I think they'll like it.

MinUph

Looks good to me. Slip covers are just that.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website