Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:13:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to evaluate foam for furniture?

Started by baileyuph, March 05, 2015, 05:29:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

What method works for evaluating foam?

a.  price

b.  density

c.  (the factor that gives it the ability to return to original shape - IDF?) Elasticity

d.  There are other factors

How do you evaluate foam to be used?

There are several parameters, just a few have been listed here, can anyone list the formal parameters?

As a comment, the cost of the better stuff has risen over the last few years and new furniture foam has been observed to collapse in short time.  Understandable that cheaper would be used to restrain cost.

This is primarily a search for the evaluation parameters, there are a set that should be used?  Most refer to density while there are other proper parameters to consider.

Doyle

kodydog

We always order by the numbers as discussed on another thread but one other test to consider, the velvet hand. If it feels rough and like a board it is probably cheep. If it feels like velvet its probably higher quality.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

Density is the weight in lbs divided by the volume in cubic feet. I've got a note that says 18 lbs/cu ft minimum are needed for seat cushions. All I can do is trust that the supplier is telling me the truth.

IFD = Indentation force Deflection. This is a measure of firmness - how much weight is needed to compress the foam to 75" of it's thickness. I've thought of getting several weights and taking occasional measurement samples myself to compare different sheets and such, but I haven't done anything with it yet. I think if I got into buying major volumes of foam I would probably do this to help track what I was buying.

I like kodydogs' velvet hand test. I wonder if the velvet feeling is because of a greater density of foam? Less air and more polyurethane?

On pricing, I convert the price to $/sq. inch on my Excel spreadsheet so I can compare different sheet lengths, different sheet widths, and different thicknesses.

gene

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Rich

I work with dental chairs and I have yet to find a supplier that has foam in as good a quality as what has been (and still is) used by the manufacturers of the top name dental chairs. I have recovered many chairs that were made 30 years ago and not replaced any of the foam because it was still in very good shape.
I don't pursue finding out what it is or where to buy it because what I work with is costly enough as it is and I'm sure this stuff would unnecessarily add to my material costs.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!