Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:38:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

That's What Friends Are For

Started by Mojo, February 14, 2015, 05:30:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I had a phone call from an engineer from a construction company in FL. He said " Your known around the internet as a outdoor fabric expert and the go to guy for awnings and I was wondering if you could help me ".

" I need an awning made that is 35 feet x 45 feet ". I asked what the hell this was going on. He said it was for a sentry station ( Marine Corp's ) at Guantanamo Bay ( Gitmo ).

So what does a great friend like me do ? He passes it off to his buddy. Insert Big Mike. :) I called Mike and even Mike said " How Big ? Dang, I am not sure if I could do one that size ".

Here is the kicker. I helped the engineer spec out the fabric and told him to go with Tuff Stuff or Soluna. Gitmo has some fierce coastal winds, tropical storms and unbearable heat. Acrylic would never last. Tuff Stuff also is flame retardent ( big issue for some military jobs ).

So imagine making a 35 ft x 45 ft awning ( with lacing attachments ) out of 19 oz vinyl ? You would have to use a fork truck to pick it up and put on a truck. I have no idea how you would even move it around your shop. I am still waiting to hear back from Mike to see if he took the job. If he did then I know Mike is crazy. :)

It is amazing the phone calls I get for some of the crazy jobs that are out there but I am grateful I have friends like Mike I can pawn jobs like this off of. :)

Chris

scott_san_diego

But those types of jobs can end up being really interesting to work on and lead to others.  Also the price you could charge for something like that would be incredible. 

gene

And make sure there is nothing on or about the tarp that might hurt the feelings of the detainees down there at Club Gitmo. You don't want an IRS audit, fed probe, Nancy Paloci anal prob, etc., etc...

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

February 14, 2015, 08:26:25 am #3 Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 08:28:57 am by Darren Henry

This one was 18'6"X30 if | recall.Same material you mention.

There is a sewing machine in there with me BTW.

It was larger than my entire shop so my helper (I could not move the sucker myself) had to set up in the back corner of the acreage. This was a peaked roof so we were joining triangles and flat runs so had to jam alot of material through the machine. I have done a flat tarp 25X35 by myself in the shop. No problem. In fact Dad happened to be in town and dropped by while I was sewing it and wanted to help. I made better time on my own so he just sat on the stool shaking his head at "how can you do that" LOL.

Personally---I'd talk to who ever is in charge of design and do it in sections. The arguement(s) being that it is more easily deployed/  It is repairable ( you cannot sew the middle of a tarp that size/ and it is "adjustable" in that you can add/remove sections to achieve the length you require.

Our military use what we call modular tents. They are a barn shaped aluminum interior frame with a  fabric skin similar to Tuff Stuff. The width is roughly 15 feet at the bottom and each section is about 8 foot long. You connect as many sections as required and lash them together then lash in which ever configuration of end you reguire. With our system one edge of the section has a series of #3 grommets every 8 or 10 inches and a flap to cover them like a tee top. The other side has loops of paracord sewn to it at corresponding distances. To secure the sections a loop of paracord is passed through a grommet and the loop above, then pulled down in front of the grommet below.Repeat----
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Darren Henry

I'm just glad it was a summer project.

I hate having to sew in mukluks and mittens! Makes me want to use too many staples.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

OMG, I 'd never even bid on something like that.  Funnies thing ever to come up on this forum, as I recall, was a vinyl "ass end receptacle" for a stud thoroughbred horse to collect semen for artificial insemination later.  LOL.  I wouldn't know where to start!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

chris ive been so busy playing catch up I ddint have a chance to call him and I got 2 more jobs comit this weekend so ill have to pass.

Mike

February 14, 2015, 04:35:18 pm #7 Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:44:32 pm by Mike
Quote from: JuneC on February 14, 2015, 02:45:08 pm
OMG, I 'd never even bid on something like that.  Funnies thing ever to come up on this forum, as I recall, was a vinyl "ass end receptacle" for a stud thoroughbred horse to collect semen for artificial insemination later.  LOL.  I wouldn't know where to start!

June

I wonder june how they get the specimen

those look like some preetty baggy pants Darren

Mojo

Mike:

Not a problem. MiamiChris has a customer who can do it. I am guessing this guy has a sew pit for large jobs like this. I am calling Chris in the morning and turning it over to him.

I appreciated the fact the guy contacted me but I am not set up for that. I watch the jobs I take in because we are essentially doing production work and big jobs bog's the system down and we end up losing money in the long run. Our shop rate and margins always drops the second we take in special projects so I avoid them. Our bread and butter is in the coach market and we like to stay within that realm. Besides, I like spreading the love around and would rather pass off those jobs to friends......lol.

June, I had visions of you taking on this job but thought twice of calling you. But then I did miss the opportunity of you being able to tell me to go jump off a bridge with cement shoes on. :)

Darren, that job you had is the reason why I opted out. No way would I want to tackle something that big.

Chris

Darren Henry

Yeah; it was ugly, but mission,mission,mission----failure is not an option we "got 'er dun!". There is a very thin line between confident and cocky (and quite probably stupid) but I'd have a go at it for the right $$$,especially if I could sell them on the sectional plan.

Quotethose look like some preetty baggy pants Darren

LOL I was making them as gift for you for when you went surf fishing----then I check the shipping price. It's a warm rain in Florida isn't it? teehee.

JaneNYC

Quote from: Darren Henry on February 14, 2015, 08:35:44 am
I hate having to sew in mukluks and mittens! Makes me want to use too many staples.

I didn't hear that. 

What?

j.

Mike

chris is mike back in the fabric field?

Mojo