Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:42:21 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Looking for advice on Boat Seats

Started by BlueFlamingo, February 05, 2015, 07:44:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFlamingo

February 05, 2015, 07:44:08 am Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:37:04 pm by BlueFlamingo
I'm NOT a PRO.  Just an Old Guy trying to Learn the business.  I have done some basic Flat Berth type seats and some bucket seats in my sons VW Bus but these seats are a NEW Challenge for me and I'm looking to you guys to see if you can give me some Tips of the trade!!!  The Curves and Rounded inside corners are kinda scary and I'm not real sure how I'm gunna get everything to fit right and wrinkle free.  These pics are NOT of the actual boat just samples of the Baja Boat type seats I'll be doing.  I call em Barrel Back Bucket Seats. Sooo if any of you have done this type of seat and can give me some tips and things to look out for I'd REALLY appreciate it.  I'm SCARED STIFF at the moment and Hoping beyond Hope I have NOT bitten off more than I can chew!!!!  They have top stitched French Seams and as you can see inserts etc...  I can handle all that but I'm thinking there's going to be the need for heat guns and stretching and tucking and possibly some hidden stapling straps etc.  I guess when I tear the old covers off it may "Show" me how to put the new ones back on.  I'm hopin that will be the case.  Chime in if you have some advice.

Regina NEEDS help

Curious if you ever got any input on how to handle those seats.

Virgs Sew n Sew

I do a lot of marine seats but those are a new one on me.

Virginia
Fuck this place.

mrsocks

Judging from the posting date, you have either finished or gave up on them. We do a lot of seats like those and I'll just mention a few tricks. The steam will be your friend here. Heat guns as a LAST resort. Make certain that the "stretch" goes across the inside of the back rest so you are stiff in the vertical with give in the horizontal so fabric follows the curve. Direction of fabric on outside back is not important.
Taking the old ones off will tell you much. I always reinforce my French Seams and whether I pattern (rarely, rarely done here) or tailor them, I usually make them on the small side. Then a very, very light plastic (9mil) over the foam will have them sliding on nicely.
And, again, Steam, Steam, Steam!!
Socks
ps; Don't know if I am allowed to post my website here, but it has many pics.
You can PM me or Google" Boat Covers in Tucson" to find it (should be right on top)
Socks