Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 03:27:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I Took the Step

Started by Mojo, February 04, 2015, 07:19:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Still cannot believe I just hired an employee. We simply could no longer handle everything between the two of us. My wife has a full plate being a high school math teacher, department chair and chair of some of the committees at school. She comes home exhausted most days and I hate piling work on her.

The busier we get the more time I am taken away from sewing with answering phones, sending out color samples, working with customers on color selections, answering e-mail's etc. So we hired a young lady to start as a bookeeper / office worker, part time working a day or two a week.

The plan is to see if she is dependable, able to pick up quickly on things and to see what her work ethic is like. If it all works out then we will increase her responsibilities and hours. One part of me is happy as hell because we are getting some help finally but the other part is scared crap less. I take employing someone very seriously and I am now responsible for providing a pay check for a single Mom. 

I really have my fingers crossed that she is a winner as I would like to bring her on full time so I can cut back my own hours. Time will tell.

Chris

MinUph

Chris,
  I just hired a secretary also. Tried one and she was good but didn't want to do the full time thing so I let her go. I hired another girl and she is doing great! Keeps me off the phone 90% of the time and does more than I ever expected. It is a great thing to be able to actually work.
  I hope yours works out as well.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteThe busier we get the more time I am taken away from sewing

I'm surprised you haven't had to do this sooner with the way your business has been growing. I hope this lady is "the one", if not try again. You need help. Grin.

I would suggest that you have her write out your instructions and compile them into a "standard operating procedures" manual. It will reinforce what you are teaching her, provide a term of reference if she forgets something, and fast track training any subsequent staff.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

February 05, 2015, 05:15:27 am #3 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:21:53 am by gene
LOL. It sounds like you're a member of a 12 step program:

"Hi. My name is Chris. And I'm an employer."

Everybody: "Hi Chris."

On a serious note, there is a wisp of hope in the air for small business owners, and our economy, with a Republican house and senate and a man named Walker from Wisconsin running for the presidency.

One of many accomplishments of this current administration was to take away the power of small businesses, resulting in even more onerous rules, regulations, laws, fees, and taxes. I've read a few articles that make the point that our middle class has been cut in half. And African Americans have been disproportionately hurt the most by this current administration.

It is amazing what all the state sponsored news media does not report. For example, so many people who are unemployed are no longer counted as unemployed. And there is no distinction between folks who had a full time job and today can only find a part time job. But then, the unemployment numbers that are reported certainly look great! Symbolism over substance.

Best of luck, boss. And congrats on your business growing.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

good luck Chris, you work too hard sounds like you need help hands on producing so you can slack off a bit .

on a different note moved back into the shop and rebuilding my sewing table I just took down