Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 03:22:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question For You Marine / Canvas People

Started by Mojo, January 29, 2015, 07:36:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Just wondering if anyone has used Miami's Soluna vinyl. It is basically a vinyl awning material
and was originally used as tarp fabric for covering loads on open semi trailers.

The stuff is heavy as heck - 19 oz but its rip stop capabilities is amazing. Takes 450 lbs.

The vinyl is exclusive to Miami and you cannot get it from anyone else that I know of.

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to use it for boat covers, awnings or whatever.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

No, but I have it written down and will use it should the opportunity present itself.

Virginia

Mojo

It is amazing stuff Virginia. We now offer that in our product lineup. Actually ours is called Migliore.
We went through the permission process with Miami and was allowed to re-brand it under our own fabric name, had marketing materials made and sew-in labels. So now we own the rights to the name Migliore.

I made a prototype awning with it 3 years and 10,000 miles ago for our Bus and it has held up well.
I purposely cut the leading edge of it that catches the wind as the coach goes down the road to see if the tear would grow. It hasn't.

I was just curious if anyone else was using it and if so what their thoughts were on it and their experience.

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteThe stuff is heavy as heck - 19 oz but its rip stop capabilities is amazing. Takes 450 lbs

I have used 18 oz. (what you call) Herculite which is very similar---polyester mesh reinforced PVC. Like you say;impossible to rip, but dang, the weight!!!I find it works well on slide out toppers as long as you don't hem the short edges---otherwise it's a bear to get into the tracks. For anything else I would go to the lighter weights as the project (boat cover, etc...) just becomes to heavy and bulky to be "user-friendly". I have the option of 14 and 10 oz. versions of the same herculite. No need to take a machine gun to a knife fight.   
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

I havnt see any sample yet chris sounds like a good alternative to stamoid and riviea weblon, lace on tops how are the colors?

Mojo

Mike:

The colors are basically the same as tough stuff. I have a meeting Thursday with Chris and will
tell him to send you a sample card.

Darren:

Yes we use raw edges on the vinyl. At 19 oz's they would never get that hem into the track like you said. The beauty is that cuts down on production time as there are two less seams to sew.
I am not afraid to admit that after a day of horsing around this material my old fat butt is wore out. :)

Chris

Mojo

Mike:

I talked with Chris this morning and he will be there to see you tomorrow and bring some sample cards.

Chris