Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:46:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

2015 Off With a Bang

Started by Mojo, January 02, 2015, 02:55:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Not really. I just destroyed 10 yards of fabric on an order.

I am very careful while handling fabric not to wrinkle or rough handle it. This stuff was just miserable to work with ( Recacril Moonrock ). I hated the hand and it crazed like no tomorrow. It seemed like every time I moved the fabric It would craze. I think it was a bad run they had on this roll as the hand was ultra soft.

Adding to my misery is I went into the shop sicker then a dog from bronchitis and thought I would knock this order out. I ran two large seams and both puckered horribly. I believe that the crap fabric coupled with the way I was feeding caused the puckering.

The big problem was that I had a drop dead date of Monday for completion. Thankfully my customer was understanding. I do not stock Moonrock so have to wait till Monday for a Miami delivery.

I hated to trash that much fabric but I refuse to send out orders that are not perfect. I built my reputation and this company on shipping perfect products and I am not going to compromise my quality over $ 120 bucks in fabric. My OCD got the best of me on this one and I was so pissed I could have kicked my own rear end and that of Recacril.

It seems like everytime I use Recacril's Moonrock I have problems but Sattler has nothing close to this color and since it is a Monaco OEM color I have to use it. I have sewed 1,000's of yards of other Recacril fabric and have not had problems like this. I love a hard hand fabric. Thankfully I am not a furniture guy. :)

The bright side is that I am buried in orders and most are huge and will take time to get out the door. I am hoping 2015 is going to be another big year for us. If not, screw it I can use the time off to get things done around here......lol....:)

I hope all of you start off 2015 with a big bang and rock it out all year long.

Chris

Mike

January 02, 2015, 05:16:04 pm #1 Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:16:41 pm by Mike
ive got a simple resew repair tomorrow then a window and cover job back in the home shop
im just going to plug away day to day, s long as I have a simple cover  job a week ill be happy

sofadoc

I had my own "bang-up" start today.

I had to pick up some supplies at a warehouse in Dallas. With freezing drizzle, there were wrecks and traffic jams galore.

I got rear-ended at an on-ramp. The car that hit me took off. I followed it long enough to get the license # and take a picture of the car. The car was swerving from far left lane to far right lane, and even passing cars on narrow shoulders in an attempt to lose me. But there was too much traffic congestion for him to leave me behind.

I had the police on the phone at the time. They told me that since I had left the original scene of the accident, I would have to go to the downtown station and file a report. So I did. When I got there, they told me that I would have to return to the scene, and call the police from there. Otherwise, they would not investigate. They refused to even take down the car's license #.

At this point, I realized that I was just getting the "run around". I resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to pay a $500 deductible just because some jerk hit me and ran.

I can't help but think that if the situation were reversed (and it was ME who committed the hit & run), I'd be featured on the evening news with the TV chopper following my every move. And the police would've been waiting for me when I got home.   

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Well, that just sucks.

Quote from: sofadoc on January 02, 2015, 09:03:30 pm
... I resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to pay a $500 deductible just because some jerk hit me and ran.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

The only bang I've heard this year so far was my blind dog knocking over a chair.
--------------------------------
I've been told by my local police that when drivers hit and run it's almost always because they are driving illegal (no license or no insurance), or they have drugs in their car. There's no incentive for the police to spend time and money to investigate something like this. It usually only amounts to the driver, if caught, getting yet another line added to their criminal record. And the criminal will not miss a day without being out there driving.
---------------------------------
Hey, I can do something this year that I was never able to do before! I can text and drive! I finally added texting to my phone. I'm looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about.  :o

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on January 03, 2015, 08:12:32 am
Hey, I can do something this year that I was never able to do before! I can text and drive! I finally added texting to my phone. I'm looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about.
I know it's only Jan 3, but might as well get the ball rollin' on going WAY off topic.

I've found that the customer's 2nd favorite way of sending me a photo of their furniture for an estimate is through a text now. Their favorite way, is to just bring the phone/camera into my shop and show it to me.

I rarely get an e-mail pic anymore.

The only texting that I ever do, is in reply to a photo that has been texted to me. I've found that some customers absolutely WILL NOT answer their phone when I call them. But I could shoot them a text any hour of the day or night, and they will respond in a nanosecond.

ONLY because it means that I can now get customers to respond do I somewhat embrace the texting technology. But it irks me when they keep texting questions that require long, drawn-out answers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next bang we hear......will probably come from Gene while he is texting and driving.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Good lord guys---It's still the morning of the second [shocked].

Chris; My nemesis was Sunbrella mocha. It shrinks like crazy,especially up the roll. I'd show the material to my rep. before I just tossed it out.

Dennis; sorry to hear that. I got side swiped by a hit and run 30 Oct. Of course I was driving the van that I inherited and am trying to sell because the starter went out of my dented old daily driver truck. The police caught the guy but I was still almost a month getting a letter from Mantiboa Public Insurance to waive my deductible. The new mirror wasn't in yet when I went to Kenora and now the van is impounded in Ontario and I'm a pedestrian for at least 90 days so still working on that.

QuoteI finally added texting to my phone. I'm looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is about.

I wouldn't try that up here. Our new "Distracted driving" law is two demerits on your license and $300 fine. My favourite is the guy last fall who was taking pictures of an accident on his phone as he drove past the cops. I hear Bill Engval is sending him a sign to go with his ticket LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

That sucks Dennis. The guy was probably driving illegally ( no license or insurance ) or had been drinking or both.

Florida I believe is the Nations capital for Hit & Runs. Just turned the TV on yesterday and the news reported an elderly woman hit and killed and the driver never stopped.

The more serious the consequences the more they drive away. Happens all the time down here. Sometimes daily and always weekly. The worst was a biker that got rear ended on a 2 lane HWY close to us. It knocked him off the bike and into the path of an oncoming driver. He ran over the biker. Neither driver stopped and left the guy for dead in the middle of the road and die he did.

I think these people should be strung up if caught. There is little worse then hitting someone and leaving them for dead and running off and hiding. :(

Chris

byhammerandhand

One of my daughters was rear ended while sitting at a light.   The LEO refused to cite him.   As it turned out, he had many priors and even two more accidents like this before her case came to court (insurance co. subrogation to cover her medical expenses, where the whiplash pain lasted for a couple of years and still persists.)  Deadbeat.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Dennis i do t know with your phone but the iphone when texting or most typing has a microphone key that lets you speak to text rather then typing   Is good but its easier for me to type as it dosent understand my spea h u less i talk as slow ss i can text.

Mike

January 03, 2015, 12:46:55 pm #10 Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:50:34 pm by Mike
I knoe what you meen about them mot awnseri g i always  say you got the phone right on your side why cant you awnser it. ??
I got to say my brother slept well in the hospital and so did  i ( no phone calls  ) and it realy felt good to  get to sewing in the old shop this morning.   Delevered the canvas.  Got paid.