Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:02:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Office Chair Project (Pictures Included)

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, December 30, 2014, 07:13:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

This was my rush job that needed to be finished by the Monday before Christmas.  It is also the job that WILL have me purchasing a pneumatic stapler/compressor/etc. 

Removing the chair guts from the hard shell was easy.  Both seat and back were attached to another hard plastic shell which did not like either of my staplers, even my carpet stapler (Duo Fast).  My rinky dink stapler I got at Ace was pretty much worthless.  I got the vinyl tacked to the shell and then carefully persuaded the Duo Fast to not rip holes through the vinyl (no pressure adjustment on it).  Anyway, I survived the job.  Chad & Sonja are both thrilled and I got a deposit so that I can order the vinyl for Chad's soon to be Husker themed pontoon.  Life is good! : )

Here is the picture of 7 of the chairs in their War Room:

Chair 8 is for the desk.  I'm not sure if this is Chad (boat project coming up) or his assistant that I communicated with.

Virginia

SteveA

Good Christmas color  -  and it looks nice
How is the tufting done - are there buttons ?
SA

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: SteveA on December 30, 2014, 09:59:26 am
Good Christmas color  -  and it looks nice
How is the tufting done - are there buttons ?
SA

No, no buttons.

Once the vinyl is cut, I measured and marked for the inner rectangle and then seamed on each side, top and bottom as well.  Straps are sewn on the back for the tufting, holes were already in place in the foam.  Pulled the straps through the holes tightly and then stapled to the hard shell.  Pretty slick!  I was relieved that I was dealing with one piece of vinyl and not sewing 9 little scraps together : o

Virginia

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Thanks!

I always want to do a good job, but had the extra incentive of the work on the boat dangling in front of me on this one.

Will be glad to get all of these boat projects finished as that will mean we are almost to springtime.  High here today was a balmy +3 degrees.  Windchill was horrendous.

Virginia

Rcrabb

Awesome!! I love the look!!

I'm really interested in seeing how you sewed the seams especially where they cross. Do you have any close up pictures?

Virgs Sew n Sew

I took a couple of pictures before Sonja picked the chairs up.  I'm not sure how close up I got but I'll see what they show.  Otherwise, I'll put my thinking cap on and be more specific.  It worked well though as all but one seam lined up perfectly.  It was close enough that I didn't go all anal and tear it out.

Glad you like the look!

Virginia