Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 12:20:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Snowfall Yet?

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, November 15, 2014, 09:19:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

We had a dusting Monday as part of this Arctic whatever.   It's been below freezing all week with nasty wind chills as well.  Got up at 6 this morning and the snow was just starting to fall.  Went out a bit ago to shovel the Sew 'n Sew area as I had a customer come by at 8.  On a Saturday???  I was showered and dressed but my hair was still wet-ugh.  I'm sure she was impressed.  : o   

Anyone else had the pleasure of their first shoveling session of the year yet?  Counting down the days until Spring and glorious warm weather arrives!

Virginia

Mike

November 15, 2014, 04:38:47 pm #1 Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:41:17 pm by Mike
nope  

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mike on November 15, 2014, 04:38:47 pm
nope  

I should hope not!

I did take Jimmy for a walk this afternoon.  It was still snowing to beat the band and he was absolutely loving it.  Me, not so much.  There wasn't any wind right then so it wasn't horrendously cold but I could hardly see from the snowflakes landing on my glasses and then melting.  A wonder I didn't wander into traffic or something.  Anyway, he had a good time and I survived it so it was a win-win.

Virginia

Mojo

We got 18 " of snow today........Wait.....That was when I was living in Michigan and that occurred in 1978. :)

Today it was in the 70's and sunny. :)

Chris

Mike

the blizzard of 78 we got hammered in mass.   before I moved my little dog had a doggy door to go outside when it was snowing hed stick his head out and turn around.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mike on November 16, 2014, 04:19:56 am
the blizzard of 78 we got hammered in mass.   before I moved my little dog had a doggy door to go outside when it was snowing hed stick his head out and turn around.

We moved here Dec of '05.  We had a snowfall Sunday afternoon with an inch or so of ice beforehand but it was gone by the 10th of Dec when we assumed possession of our house.  Worked well as there was no fence around the backyard so we were able to get the holes for the posts dug and concrete in place so that we could get fence in so that we could move the dogs over from my in-laws.  Temps were below freezing for most of the winter but we didn't have so much as a dusting of snow all winter.  First day of spring we had a monster snowfall (22").  I've never seen that much snow from one storm in my life.  Bob had to dig a place in the backyard for the dogs to use as they would pretty much have disappeared in the drifts otherwise.  Once the top of the snow got frozen over, Carly especially loved to play "King of the Mountain".  Jimmy pretty much went out, did business and then wanted back in where it was warm but Carly seemed to love to explore the frozen drifts.

Hope to never see another snowstorm like that ... EVER!

Virginia

gene

We had a light dusting of snow here in SW Ohio. It melted on the streets and stuck on the car windshields.

The older I get and the more my bones hurt from the cold winters, the more I understand why so many people hate folks who live in Florida. That's why we move to Florida: Hate 'em or join 'em.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

gene

It's be interesting to have upholsterers on here who live in Hawaii and whine and complain about the lava flows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooes_mqTwME

gene

Virgs Sew n Sew

Yup, we're freezing our touches off and they're in shorts and sandals.  Although, I would think the lava flow would be just a touch disconcerting.  I can handle blizzards and tornadoes but hurricanes and lava flows scare the bejesus out of me.  It's all in what you grow up with, I think.

Virginia

byhammerandhand

My daughter (in northern UP of MI) got "only" 8-9 inches.   The grandkids were complaining that there was not enough snow to make a decent snowman.   (Last winter, they got 300 total inches).   To put that in perspective, if it didn't sublimate away, it would be to the eaves of a standard 3 story house.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

timtheboatguy

We got about an inch here in Missouri and the temps have been way below normal. I'm with Gene, the older I get the more I dislike winter! Having eight grand kids and one great grandson I can confidently say we won't be moving anywhere warm either. If I worked indoors all of the time it would not be so bad.

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Quote from: gene on November 16, 2014, 07:36:21 am
We had a light dusting of snow here in SW Ohio. It melted on the streets and stuck on the car windshields.

The older I get and the more my bones hurt from the cold winters, the more I understand why so many people hate folks who live in Florida. That's why we move to Florida: Hate 'em or join 'em.

gene
you know gene when we first got to florida it was always fun to rib the friends back up north cove this time of year,  but after 10 years it just normal every day is a shorts and sandals maybe a sweatshirt in the morning but that comes off around 10 I don't even think of it being winter really . like before when life shut down and the boat got covered up . Virginia id hate it being cold and no snow. I used to hate waiting for snow to go snowmobililng. seems like once it got to be good riding the snow would melt and it was march

Mojo

Today I was in the garage sewing with just shorts on. I was getting hot and sweating so I took off my t-shirt.

Someday I predict that Florida will have a large population of upholsterers and a shortage elsewhere in the USA. :)

Chris

gene

November 16, 2014, 07:10:14 pm #13 Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:12:11 pm by gene
QuoteI was getting hot and sweating so I took off my t-shirt.
I was getting hot and sweating walking my dog this morning so I took off my gloves, took off my skull cap, took off my outer coat, took off my down vest, put my outer coat back on without the hood up, and carried my down vest home along with the dog poop bag.

Do you transplants to Florida miss the changing seasons? I've heard that's one big issue for a lot of folks.

In North/South Carolina they have "half wayers". These are folks who moved to Florida from the north, mainly New England, missed the seasons, and moved half way back north to the Carolinas.

Tim: I've always said that if I could afford to fly my kids to Hawaii on a private jet anytime they wanted to come and visit, I would be living in Hawaii. I've met a lot of folks in Hawaii who moved there and had to turn their beautiful homes into B&Bs to help pay the bills.

I have a customer who built a retirement home in Key West and then realized that the grand kids are here in Ohio. They gave up their plans of living in Key West full time.

gene

Mike

ya a guys got to move if he wants before the kids have kids , I had a guy last year who just moved anyway

me I don't miss the seasons. ya fall was nice if you liked flannel shirts and fairs but then came winter and however much I like snowmobiling it didn't equal up to boating sitting on the patio bbqing and mowing the lawn even , gebe there are aot of people here who live in the house you never seen them outside these are probable the halfbackers they likew shopping from the house to the car to the mall as long as the drivings good and the heater works