Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 08:26:17 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Let's be honest

Started by gene, September 12, 2014, 06:12:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

September 12, 2014, 06:12:44 pm Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:14:17 pm by gene
I listened to an interview this evening with Jack Bogel, about his investment strategies. He invented ETFs, by the way.

Here's what was posted for the comment section, for anyone who wanted to post a reply.

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

They're just telling it like it is.  :)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Man, that is sad but true.  Hubby and I used to post on some Nebraska football message boards, three all in all.  We ended up giving up on each of those boards over time as people were just jerks to each other.  If you didn't agree with the deemed "appropriate response", you were called names, cursed at and some times banned.  In person Husker fans may be the most courteous you will find (so sayeth the sportscasters), but on message boards they might be the worst or all sports boards may be like that -- no experience with any other fan bases. 

sofadoc

There are certainly people who scan all the different social media just looking for a fight. I'm not sure whether sports, or politics draws the most ire.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on September 13, 2014, 07:25:15 am
Hubby and I used to post on some Nebraska football message boards, three all in all. 

Go Spartans...............:)

Chris

byhammerandhand

I follow the facebook posts of a local politician.   He can't say, "Enjoyed the beautiful weather today with the wife and kids," without hundreds of trolls posting nasty responses.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on September 13, 2014, 08:14:13 am
There are certainly people who scan all the different social media just looking for a fight. I'm not sure whether sports, or politics draws the most ire.

Used to be the same people on the original so ial network. The CB.
People would get all mouthy. I spent a few night with criend driving around watching the sinal strength. ;)

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mojo on September 13, 2014, 10:10:31 am

Go Spartans...............:)

Chris

LOL!

Welcome to the B10  ;)

Seriously, we haven't followed NCAA football for quite a few years.  After Saint Tom retired, we suffered through Shorty, I mean Solich, then we had Billy C, oops, Callahan, seems like there was someone else I'm forgetting (they were all forgettable) and then along comes the worst yet, Mr. Pelini.  He's just such a drastic change from Osborne who was the epitome of class both on field and off.   We were not real happy when Pelini was interim coach and called K-State's Snyder one of the dollar words (penny pot for curse words), Pelini's wife had the F-bomb written on her mittens that year at our bowl game directed towards the AD (Steve Pederson I think) who didn't hire him for the position permanently.  So when Osborne hired him we hoped that he had grown up, learned to curb his temper and his mouth but NOPE.  The last straw for both of us when the tape surfaced where Pelini stated in his best street language exactly what he thought of his fan base.  "Oh, I really didn't mean that" he said.  Sure, because you got caught saying it.  So, we are only peripherally aware of what is going on with Big Red Nation.  Do cheer mightily hard for the Big Red Women in Volleyball.

Back to the original topic.  I used to be shocked when I would click on a yahoo story and read some of the comments posted underneath it.  Now I'm shocked if there aren't any comments like that.  I think it stems because you aren't really dealing with a person, just a name on the internet so people feel safe in saying things to and about people that they wouldn't dream of saying if they met that person face to face.  Has really taken our civilization down a notch or two in my book.  But so it goes.

Virginia