Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:02:16 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sew Foam Dynamics

Started by baileyuph, September 03, 2014, 06:26:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

In business, one notes that sew foam is used in different applications and in different ways.

1.  It has been observed that the sew foam (bare foam side) is attached to the upholstery material backing and in others the cloth backing of the sew foam is attached to the back side of the upholstery material.

2.  Do any of you understand why the differences?  Most marine the sew foam is layered by the raw foam side being placed to the finish fabric backside.  We do a lot of this and stitch through with the bobbin thread finishing out on the backing of the sew foam.

3.  However, auto is not usually done this way, the stitched bobbin thread is seamed against raw foam side of "sew foam", if you will.

This has been noted for some time and thoughts have run in several directions, so thought a post might stir some interesting thoughts/reasons for these differences.

Any?  I would like to hear.

Thanks,

Doyle

Mike

well if im using sewfoam just for plushness. if im doing a inside cuved back as in a l lounge the fabric of the sewfoam ill glue to the vinyl if the raw foam in glued to the vinyl when it is curved the layering create a wrinkle on the vinyl some don't glue it nut I like to and if im sewing pleats in the vunyl ill  layer it raw foam to the vinyl and mark the sewfoam for line to follow sewing and I have the sewfaom up and bobbin to the finnish vinyl
thought not upholstery sefoam
here is a foam backed vinyl we used for a headliner reciently and where the fron of the roof curved down we did get a little puckering from this effect

baileyuph

I experience much of the same Mike, in auto if the (lets call it foam backing), it can cause puckering/wrinkling the thicker the foam backing.  I find it best to go with the raw foam is the backing - as manufacturers of car interiors do.  When puckering is an issue and a sew design is not required, I won't sew the foam to the upholstery material.

It does make a difference in terms of the wrinkles you mention and bulk effects in fitting.

Better to attach the foam to the molded foam.

Doyle

bobbin

I have NO clue about how to go about using sew foam effectively.  I make no bones about it.  A quick search will reveal that!

Vinyls are on the periphery of my expertise, and I'm in no way truly comfortable using them.  Nearly every experience I've had working with vinyl+sew foam has been awful... low ball estimate, dried/cracked/totally dessicated "original" upholstery... fill in the blanks.  I was simply told to "duplicate this".  Nearly every encounter with vinyl sucked. 

Now, I'm getting calls for... dum de dum-dum... vinyl work.  I'm not afraid of the properties of vinyls but I'm timid about how to use sew foam to bulk up/smooth out a vinyl offering.  And I'm not really sure where to go to work/take a class to put me more at ease. 

I'm a "woven material" kinda gal.  I have no trouble using bias to contour a slipcover, but "fleshing out" a vinyl cushion with sew foam? very uncertain!

baileyuph

Bobbin you are wise to respect when and how to use sew foam and when to use it.

I have followed how auto manufacturers have implemented, lets merely say foam backed materials (woven and vinyl).  They seem to, for years respected the ramifications of how foam is used.  I do review the setting before "just" going with the attach it to the back of everything (with backing out).

I respect big business and tend to follow the trends and methods of how to use the material.

Doyle