Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 10:21:49 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What's in your library?

Started by cthomps, August 31, 2014, 06:14:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

I am wondering what book you folks have in your personal libraries?  I was looking for a guide to furniture identification on Amazon and didn't know what would be the best choice.  If I'm going to keep going to work in upholstery, I need to learn the different styles of chairs etc.   Maybe you experienced folks could recommend some reading material for us newbies.  So the question is...

What are your go to resource books or other media?

Thank you.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

MinUph

I've been at this for around 46 years and still don't know all the styles people mention. Its a chair or a sofa. It seems different people in different parts of the country call things different names and even in the same towns so I gave up about 30 years ago trying to deal with it. :) I know Dede no smiles.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

chrisberry12

this is so true of a club chair. Ask everyone you know what a club chair is and you will get a different description every time. Learn by doing

MinUph

I do know what a club chair is. Its a chair at the club right LOL. Just kidding. Thats how I see all the names for things.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: chrisberry12 on August 31, 2014, 06:13:19 pm
this is so true of a club chair. Ask everyone you know what a club chair is and you will get a different description every time. Learn by doing
Wow! I was just going to say the same thing. You took the words right out of my mouth.

When a customer calls and says they have a club chair, I know that I can expect anything from a platform rocker to a recliner. "Club chair" has to be the most all-encompassing term in the business.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I like Millers price guides.  I usually buy them 2 years after issue on e-bay or at estate sales.  Millers is full color and the descriptions are formed in an appraisal style writing.  The company covers all furniture -  antique - contemporary, decorative arts, fine art, etc.
On line of course you can type in "Images"  and there's no end to your research.
SA

cthomps

Thanks everyone.  I think I will go with the "its a chair, its a couch" mentality.  I will spend money and time learning techniques.  I will also keep an eye out for a used Miller guide.  Have a good week.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

chrisberry12

you can learn the styles for your own benefit, most customers have no idea what they have so be careful. Have them send you a picture!!! I sat in a health CLUB recently (club chair) also they might say they have a wing chair and they come in all sizes and shapes, some are even barrel chairs, so again be very careful!