Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 04:26:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

While you're here--

Started by Darren Henry, August 27, 2014, 05:09:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would this REALLY affect your shopping?

I can see the picture--I know what it is
2 (50%)
I've heard the differnt name
0 (0%)
I'd ask what it is
2 (50%)
NOPE--don't eat no foreign stuff
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Darren Henry

Totally off topic, but this has had me shaking my head all day. The big "filler' in the daily radio news is a report out of some University ( I think I heard McGill ??) that we need to repackage our berries to sell south. While I have captive audience of American friends I have to ask.

Their finding was that we could sell more of what we traditionally call saskatoon berries to the U.S. if we called them what they traditionally the blueberry berry like fruit that is somewhat smaller, more nutritious, and grows on a taller plant. I usually don't have to bend or reach to pick.

I have deliberately left out what they said you call them to confirm that as well.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

I'd try them but a lot of people won't try something new. Best to "Americanize" the name if you want it to sell.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

Darren Henry

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on August 28, 2014, 04:54:47 am
I meant on the label.

I'm a little dense today.  The skaskatoon berry is similar to our blueberries but easier to pick as the plants grow taller.  The Canadians want to sell them to the US but think that a catchier name is necessary (probably as we are a sucker for anything catchy).

I'm rambling around fruit names that I've seen in the store and am not coming up with anything that looks like a blueberry besides a blueberry.

Virginia

Mike

Id  ore but have no option i never have or forsee buying berries unless its already in a pie

Darren Henry

Apparently, Y'all  ;D call them June berries, and the market for them is growing. I doubt they flourish all the way down to Mayberry , but they grow wild here on the prairies of southern Man./Sask.Alta * but are replaced by blueberries once you go east into the boreal forest (Ont. border- at this latitude).

*I've had some custom harvester who work their way down to Nebraska to close out the season say our growing conditions are like the corn belt---but  a little shorter.

When Winnie worked in the deli at Safeway ( MAJOR food chain here ) U.S visitors would ask for "American cheese". We call them processed cheese , but the  minute they saw their Kraft single slices they didn't give a care.