Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 04:26:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Weird Summer

Started by Mojo, August 21, 2014, 02:54:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

This seems to be a strange summer in regards to business. We are down about 15 % from last summer but we had such a strong winter / spring it isn't hurting our year to date sales versus last year.

Last summer we stayed strong throughout June, July and August but this summer it seems to be a sputtering mess. Orders flood in and then its dead. Orders flood in and then it goes dead again. I do not have a clue as to what is going on and cannot get a handle on why.

I was just getting around to getting some home projects lined up when wham...... orders poured in and still haven't stopped. I am back to my normal two week out booking schedule.

I just read today that the world economy, including China has slowed. That really has had no bearing on my business in the past but it does seem to be accurate this year. I am getting ready for the fall months as this is typically when we get slammed big time. If this year is like last then we will get busy and steadily get buried in orders as the winter approaches.

Has everyone else seen a normal business cycle this summer or have your numbers been goofy as well ?

Chris

MinUph

We were just about dead for 3 weeks or maybe a little less. Thats over and work is piling up again. Last August was slow but we had a big job for Disney so we really didn't feel it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

It has been weirdly slow, but in a good way.

Not as much silly stuff. Just good profitable jobs. Fine with me. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

typically for the 10 years ive been here September has always been the dead month last year I even ran out of contracts for about a week.  but this year it started to slow early in august this year and other business around town told me the same.   but I havnt run out of work ive tried to relax a bit more not worrying as I use to.  the call always seem to come when you least expect it . and this summer ive been plugging away with one little job after another.  just when I was low on work I got a call to do a big headliner job, same week a job building a pair of pontoon benches. then when I was finishing the headliner today I got a call for another nice job for next month all along ive goot some small upholstery jobs

.  yes its been a strange summer

Mojo

Friends of ours own two large chain restaurants. During dinner with them the other night they said
the same thing, it has been dead.

I enjoyed the slow time and am not looking forward to the big rush that will be coming as coach owners start heading to FL again for the winter.

Chris

kodydog

Quote from: Mojo on August 21, 2014, 02:54:20 pm
I was just getting around to getting some home projects lined up when wham...... orders poured in and still haven't stopped. I am back to my normal two week out booking schedule.
Chris

I've been steadily booked 4 weeks out since I started working for myself again. My kinda "weird" thing is 3 big jobs sitting in storage waiting for the customer to choose fabric. They will probably all come in at once. Been doing cushions out the ying yang lately.

The good thing about cushions, like repairs, they can't be outsourced to China.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

a guy who owned a marina next to my canvas shop up north kody said something similar about Walmart not putting me out of business maybe at the time they were way cheaper then my tackle shop but not even competition at the sewing  .but ive had some odd jobs lately as of last a huge yacht  headliner job , a sail shade to do and a temporary rear sun shade like this only on a 40 sumthin trawler about 15' x 13' canvas