Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 04:23:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Nails and staples, made in USA

Started by byhammerandhand, August 17, 2014, 05:51:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

... in fact, right here in town.    I had a ticket for this tour, but had to miss it due to arrival of grand-daughter Abigail out of town two days before.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/senco-nailed?et_mid=687064&rid=237196070
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I've used Senco brand staples a few times over the years. Usually because it just happened to be the brand that my supplier sent. I don't remember having any trouble with them.

There's really only one brand that I specify NOT to send me. The E-Z brand staples tend to have to much glue on them. They don't feed well, and they jam a lot.

The generic brand of staples that I use now tend to break easily when removing. I'll try to specify Senco on my next order. I certainly don't mind paying a few bucks per case extra for a better quality.

But it really depends on what my supplier (that delivers free) has available.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

Many Blessings on the new arrival Grandpa  !
SA

byhammerandhand

Didn't mean to make a drive by gloat, but...

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

August 17, 2014, 04:06:15 pm #4 Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:07:01 pm by MinUph
Congratulations Keith she's a cutie.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Are their any brand of staples that do not break when pulled?

When I first started working for my last employer we were using BEA. The next time he made an order the supplier couldn't get BEA (credit issues) so he offered a generic brand. They came in an unmarked case and each box was white and also unmarked. They were crap! They jammed and broke with little pressure. The next time he ordered staples I begged him to get something other than the generic. He said OK. It took 6 weeks and they were the same generic staples. I kept quiet. The next time he placed an order this is what I told him, I know as a business owner you need to cut corners but the money your saving is eaten up in the time it takes us to unjam the guns and having to hammer the little stubs left behind when the staples breaks.

My supplier in Jacksonville carries BEA. I get most of my supplies from them and they have once a week free delivery. A huge savings. I could never convince my old boss that ordering inventory from 15 different suppliers to save a few bucks was eaten up by the shipping charge.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on August 18, 2014, 10:46:04 am
Are their any brand of staples that do not break when pulled?
I'm noticing more and more now, that even when I strip down a recent factory job, the staples break off easily. And that is really strange, considering that most new furniture now is made of softer wood.

Quote from: kodydog on August 18, 2014, 10:46:04 am
I could never convince my old boss that ordering inventory from 15 different suppliers to save a few bucks was eaten up by the shipping charge.
I hear you. When my parents ran the business, any time we needed a spool of thread, staples, zipper, etc., my stepdad would get on the phone and start calling around looking for the cheapest price. We ordered everything one-at-a-time on an "as needed" basis. You could walk around the shop and add $10-$15 shipping to every single supply item we had.

You would think that even the poorest owner/manager with the most rudimentary math skills could see the obvious flaw in buying things that way.

Except for fabric, my yearly shipping costs are almost zero.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

I can't remember having an issue with the staples I used to get from my two main suppliers and can't remember the brand. I'll have to dig a box out of the shed when I go home to build the railings on my deck.

Here I'm using Senco. No problems with them.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

byhammerandhand

On a related "Made in USA" note, my wife picked up a couple of new potholders at the local restaurant supply house.   Made in USA, large, thick, well made, and $2 EACH.

Every time I hear a story about ivory poaching and the dramatic decline in African elephant populations, I remember what a friend of mine often says, "Yet another reason to hate the Chinese."
Keith

MinUph

We use Bostitch 3/8 staples and they don't break. Our supplier sells these along with a White box of unknown origin that do break when removed. The 3/8 are the only Bostitch he handles.
I use to think it was the wood but now Im confident its the staples. Cheap off shore I'm sure. Not sure where the Bostitch are made anymore.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website