Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 04:21:25 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Headliner glue june?

Started by Mike, August 12, 2014, 04:03:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Its slow and ive got a couple odd jobs one signed up a shade sale made with phocertex over a lania po area. Im suposed to get a call in the am with a deposite on a headliner job i looked at yesterday. Foam backed vinyl glues to the cabin roof the seams are covered with a wood look plastic t channel.   
So im asking what is the best glue id like to roll brush
It is 4 strips  12' long by. 3' wide.   The boat is a. 40'+ long 21' beam. Power cat

Mike

August 13, 2014, 05:14:45 pm #1 Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:15:24 pm by Mike
Got the contract for the headliner today
Was hoping for some tips glueing quarter inch foam back

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

ya I figure cleaning it important, have you taken on this b4 paul ? did you spray id like not to ive always been successful btuck rplling when doing carpet or hulliner but ive never tackled a large headliner yet

JuneC

Hey Mike,  I've been on vacation for 2 weeks so didn't see this.  I use DAP Landau Top and Trim adhesive.  For large projects I spray using a binks type sprayer.  Small stuff I use a brush.

Last big project I did like that I cleaned off the old adhesive with a wire-wheel on a drill.  Luckily the old stuff was so dry it just came off like sand and dust.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Mike, Spraying always easier and even. But you will be fine with a brush. If it soaks in to the foam give it two coats.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

thank guys I pulled the vinyl down and scraped off as much foam as I could  then with a power sander sanded the roof smooth   June I did use dap weldwood landau trim and top adhesive and I did brush the job spraying may have been easier
time frame last Friday pulled the trim  scraped it Saturday sanded it, Monday took off. Tuesday had the starboard 2 panels wensday the port 2 and today put up the trim and installed the TV in the hatch in the roof and cleaned up in the morning

JuneC

Wow Mike!  Looks amazing!  Hope the customer is thrilled.  Recent comment from an owner  - "I thought it was supposed to look like that - it's a "plush" look" (saggy/baggy headliner).  Yeah... OK.

June

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

thanks guys   you should see the canvas on this boat. the boat is a 48' cat 21' beam built in S Africa and inside it was clear to see some fit and finnish issues. apparently there are no good canvas people down there the bridge enclosure looked like C_*%p  3 fastners per window
and the aft deck lounge seat cover

look like it was sewn by a kid with a home hobby machine

Therapy

After a few beers that looks like my work    :o
Juki 563

JuneC

Sure looks like a home machine.  Maybe 12 stitches per inch. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mike

Well the customer is in canada but his wife had a issue with the hatches. They. Were welded with caulk probable 5200 and the inner ring could not be removed to insert a welt like the factory did. So i spent the day tryi g a differ t way hot melti g glur to hold the welt and sti k it under the flang best i could.
She was understanding of my problem and it doese look better now
dtmvyh8sj

I dont know how eager ill be to take on another. Im sure ill ask more. I may get a rear shade top on this boat. About 15' wide by 3' behind the bridge cover a rear lounge.

Mike

Oh ya turns out the owner did that crappy sewi g and made the bridge enosure. 3 fastners on a. 54" wide window lol.

JuneC

Yeah, you have to be really careful when criticizing the existing canvas/upholstery on a boat.  Never know who did it. LOL :D

June

W. C. Fields