Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 03:18:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

RV "bra" fabric suggestions

Started by cthomps, August 11, 2014, 06:48:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

Hello everyone.  I got a call to make an RV Bra.  The project should be manageable for me, but I am not sure what is the best fabric for this application.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

scarab29

There is a vinyl with a fleece backer. That would be like what the companys that make the car bras use. Sorry I cant remember the name right now
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mojo

As Scarab said there is a vinyl out there that has a fleece backing. Miami carries it and I went through my book but couldn't find it.

I just got a call for one last week and I turned it down like I turn down all requests for bra's made for coaches. Now I am wondering if that same request is the one who your dealing with. :) My request came through a service center I work with in Elkhart.

I had a request last year for one and turned it down. Since the customer lives near June I contacted her and she turned the job down. Probably wondering why so many of us turn these bra jobs down ? Liability. No way was I going to drill a bunch of holes in the front of a coach nor did I want the owner coming back telling me the bra I made him scratched the front of his coach. :)

There used to be a large company called MCD that made these for numerous coaches. They dropped them completely from their line. No idea why but assume the same reasons as I listed.

Chris

Mike

I wonder why there isnt a place to order one like a car. Ive seen they make rub marks from the wind.

Mojo

You used to be able to custom order them Mike from MCD as they had templates for all the popular buses. I am thinking they dropped this line because of liability as well as margins.

Interestingly they had the # 1 solar screens for windows and also tire covers and they dropped that as well.
Mainly because of the margins. Every fly by nighter with a sewing machine starting making solar screens and their prices were all dirt cheap.

I shudder to think of what all could have went wrong when I was doing solar screens. I was as nervous as a whore in church everytime I drilled into a mega expensive bus to install snaps. Cracking the paint/fiberglass, or water infiltration that causes wall delamination ( ultra expensive fix ) ......... I am so glad I am done with that stuff.
I came out unscathed thankfully and I sleep better now that's for sure.....:)

Chris

cthomps

Thanks everyone.  The RV is an older model and they can't find one to purchase.  Fortunately the hardware is all ready on the unit, so I wont be doing any drilling.  I would never do it for all reasons stated above and I am definitely a chicken when it comes to putting holes into customers units.  They just need the bra.  I will talk to them about the wind damage etc.  I appreciate all of you experience and willingness to share.  Thanks again.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Mojo

They need to know that they should remove it when they get to a long term destination. It should only be used for traveling.

If they have the hardware already installed then your Golden.

To be honest if someone wanted to build a nice little business they could pick up
where MCD left out. All one would have to do is make sure they make solar screens, mirror covers, tire covers and bra's like MCD did. They were known as the best.

I have seen alot of junk out there but none came close to MCD's product line.
They were very high quality and were crafted in an awesome manner.

Chris