Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 03:16:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Barters

Started by Mike, August 08, 2014, 05:47:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Do you get many any ?   A coulle year ago i barger some work for a smal boat that i restored and sold a d bought. A newer outboard for my boat.   
But this past month i found the lower unit seal were bad after i. Hanged the impeller so a criend mechanis. I i bartered he did the seal kit and i made a new t top cover for a boat he aquired. The  the guy i bought a used seadoo from had a pwc trailer used we traded for some canvas and upholstery repair. 

Darren Henry

Did a lot of it back when I had my own shop, but only for the "A" list . My mechanic in the other shop, my buddy working the lake, etc....If it was for there people it was at shop rate---personal ? we cut each other a deal.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scottymc

Yes I barter all the time, I swap my services for money, that's what it was invented for.

I find most people who offer a swap in trade are looking for a good deal for themselves not a fair deal for both.

I have a good friend that was building a house same time as I was so we did a labour swap, we were working on mine first and I figured that since he had bills to pay I suggested that I pay him $5 an hour as the going cash rate back the was $10 and I would work the same amount of hours back for $5. This guy is your classic tightwad, so he jumped at that and worked a total of 80hrs laying mud bricks, hard work.
Here's the funny bit, I thought when it came to my turn we would be doing 75 minute hours and he would be getting his $5 worth and more. But no I didn't have to lift a finger, he could not bring himself to pay the $5 an hour.

scarab29

Watched a old partner do it many times . someone always felt they got the raw end of the deal. I don't do it. 
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Old sailmaker

I do it all the time, be it a trade for having work done on my harley or something I need for my boat. One Example, doing a small 3 sided enclosure that i would get around $700 for in exchange for a nice radar for my boat, used but in good shape and i know what he paid for it. Replaced some straps on anothers curtains today in exchange for fixing a couple of faucet issues i have from a plumber. Our daily fuel bill for the boat i billfish on runs around $1200. I maintain the canvas and curtains on it etc in exchange for my share when possible. Works out well for both of us.... So far. , lol. Cash is king but if "comeshaw work" as I call it , works a good deal for all parties involved i have no problems with it at all.

Darren Henry

Quotewhen it came to my turn we would be doing 75 minute hours and he would be getting his $5 worth and more. But no I didn't have to lift a finger, he could not bring himself to pay the $5 an hour.

I got boned big time by my diaper (boss---usually full of poop and always on my a$$) winter before last. I had picked up a '77 Dodge motorhome and wasn't sure if I was going to restore it or sell the appliances and convert it to a bale mover. The RV service shop was dead slow, but I was putting in a little overtime in the upholstery shop. Diaper-man was paying 3 guys from 20-35/an hour to re-sweep the floors,again; so he insists I have them repair the wood rot on my unit and just use up my O/T to cover it. Their shop rate is 35% more than mine. I figured 1 hour should equal 1.35 hours??? right? Not so much in his world. Since he pays the foreman $35, he bills all three at that against the $20 he pays me so I worked it off at 1.75 hrs/hr.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Ironic you bring this up. I just did my first barter deal for a quad set of toppers. In exchange I get a commercial spot made and get free advertising for two months on an RV show. He got a good deal and I got a good deal.

From time to time I will get a buddy who needs something made or sewn. Most of the time it is something small and not very involved. I typically swap the item out for dinner at a restaurant. I could easily do it for free but I am a true believer that making something for a friend that includes some type of payment makes them appreciate it more versus just giving it to them. I just gave my old Tuffsew and a bunch of supplies to a friend of mine who is a disabled vet. In return he is making me a custom gun holster. My wife made a custom wheel chair cover for him and she refused to take payment. He snuck into the garage one day and left a thank you card and money in it.

I am blessed because I have a network of friends who come running whenever I need something. Many of them are trades people so swapping out items or labor by each other is no biggie.

I will not barter with strangers. This TV show/commercial is the first and I am only doing it because I know of this couple and their show and they have a great reputation.

Chris

forsailbyowner

Some swaps that Ive done include ... a bimini recover for the chartplotter Ive been using for the last 8 yrs.. A set of fitted sheets for a furuno radar and recently I restitched a uv stripe on a friends boat and he put seals and bearings in my dinghy motors  lower unit. All and all Ive had good experiences with my bartering. I think the other side did too. The electronics were stuff they were upgrading during refitting. Some just gotta have the latest gadgets.